Monday, September 29, 2008

I can't stop!

I am out of control. I can't seem to stop. And as soon as I'm done with this blog, I'm going back to it. I am planning curriculum for next year. How sick is that? We are six weeks into our school year and now I'm planning next year. There has got to be some kind of support group out there.

A friend of mine gave me some books the other Friday at the park. I looked through them a little, but didn't really get into them until I got home. One of them is God's Design for Animal Life book. It has text and questions and quizzes and all that good stuff. Now it would only get us through half a year, until Christmas break. But I figured we could do the human body for the second half of the year. On the Internet I go to see if I can find a book like it.

When I signed on I read the one email that I had. It was from another home school mom inviting us to her house on Thursday's for a quick science lesson and experiment. The curriculum she was using was God's Design For. She even included the website in her email. And sure enough, there it was. It was made by the same company that created our science curriculum this year, only under a different name. And they have the human body. But it gets better.

As I was looking at it trying to figure how I wanted to separate the sections and plan lessons, I realized that the material would have to be supplemented. Some I will supplement with the library, but there are a ton of great web sites out there and that would be one less trip to town. And since we go to town five days a week now, one less trip would be great. I have a membership that is about to expire for a teachers website that has printables and different resources. I got on the Internet and went through their curriculum and my book, and downloaded and saved the articles and worksheets I want to use to supplement. And I listed all the ones that I saved on a sheet of paper I clipped to the inside of the book. Sounds great. Only we won't be using it until next year!

This is my cry for help. I am a junkie and an addict. I need professional help. Or a donation to the Kula A Hale Na'auao Akamai so I can get all the curriculum I ever wanted.

And on a side note: here's a baby girl learning to read update. Today we had about thirty minutes of reading time. The big girl and the boy sat down with their books and I sat down with the baby girl. We read "Fun with Dick and Jane". It's a collection of many Dick and Jane books. The baby girl had to read Spot every time she saw it. I had to nudge her, but after awhile, she got used to seeing it and just said it when it was her turn. Then I pointed out words that she has been reading in her lessons. She sounded them all out and got them all right. At one point all the words in one sentence were words that she could sound out. And she did. I told her she was reading a real book and the connection was made. I could see the shades lift off her eyes and the dawning of new knowledge. And she was so proud of herself. I am so very proud of her and you should be, too.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Scott said...

It's great that you're so enthusiastic about planning school for your trio of voyagers. There are worse things you could be a junkie about. For instance, you could get your groove on about new cars, like a certain silly someone I could mention. :)

Love you,
Scott

Cristy said...

Or shoes. I love the smell of a new pair of leather shoes specially when they have a new leather purse and wallet to go with it. Wait, what were we talking about?

Love you,

C

Scott said...

Jeff gets excited about new furniture. We're on our third set of living room furniture since we've been together. :)

Cristy said...

We are sick, sick people.

Love you,

C