Saturday, September 6, 2008

Weekly Update

We have had a busy week. It has been productive, eventful, challenging, and glorious all at the same time. So, in a nutshell, here's the rundown.

School went really well this week. We had a little bit of a challenge during our history one day. Our history is done as a read aloud, by me, and then a set of questions follows, and then activities. Apparently, Wednesday of all days, the kids weren't really listening. So this week we are changing the format for that. This week, the kids will be reading with me. We will share the responsibility. That way, they will have to pay attention to read their part of the passage. So, there ya little scalliwags!

I have taken to making a short question and answer page for our science. It has basically the same format as the history. When we use our text book (for lack of a better description), it's only one page. That is followed by a series of questions, along with vocabulary words. When we use our book, attention spans are not a problem. But I printed some of our on line stuff before I realized that I really didn't have to. When we do those, the kids have a tendency to zone out. This was not a problem last year. So now, I glance through the reading the night before and do a quick 7 question follow along. They have to listen to the text to find the answers. We treat it like a scavenger hunt and the kids have really enjoyed it. I know they are listening and I know that they are engaged. Thishas been a learning process for all of us.

We started dance again this week. The big girl has to wait until Monday, since last Monday was Labor Day. She is champing at the bit to get started. She's watched her little brother, little sister, and her mama dance and she feels like it's her turn. Well, hang on honey, your turn is coming.

I get my crown on Monday. Can you hear the excitement in my voice? I know that they want to schedule a deep cleaning, but with our benefits, that may have to wait until the new year. But who knows what our benefits are going to be then. With the issues the company has had with benefits, and delaying the choosing of benefits for next year indefinitely, I'm not sure where we are going to stand with that one. If you stop and are thinking about me at 9am Monday morning, say a quick prayer.

I get to take the kids with me to the dentist. Hubby is working. And working. And working. And did I mention that he is working? He had 48 hours of overtime last week. Not the last two weeks. Just last week. But he worked all seven days of the work week. He had one day off, Sunday, then was back at it. He has 23 hours of overtime for this last week. He was supposed to be off today, but he's working. And his day off next week has already been cancelled. We are not complaing by any means. We were able to make a couple of pretty hefty payments on some credit cards. I get to go do our household shopping tonight all by myself when he gets home tonight. He understands that while he's been working so have I. And I need some time to myself.

I got our Pizza Hut Book It stuff in the mail yesterday. Homeschool families are able to participate in the program which I think is fantastic. I sat down and created a form for the big girl and the boy so we can keep track. They have to read 10 books each month to get their certificate. I love the fact that we are included in a program like that.

We've been listening to "Eragon" on CD. I started this thing last year where we read a book that has been made into a movie. After we read the book, we watch the movie and try to find the things that are different, things that are the same, and things that were not what we thought they would be. That has been fun. Anyway, we started reading "Eragon" last year, but what a huge book it is. There was no way we could have finished it. So we have had a really good time with the books on CD. The movie, by the way, is so completely different. We have also done "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". And after "Eragon", which has fourteen discs that take at least an hour apiece, we are going to do "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". We've seen all the HP movies that are out, so we list things with that after the disc is done. "Eragon" is so different, we quit listing, and just listen.

Last night we finally did the big girl's birthday dinner. Bless her heart, she gets dumped on so bad during her birthday. Specially since it was last month and we hadn't done it yet. But with hubby's overtime, we finally had the money. She wanted to go to the Outback and have ribs, so we did. Earlier this year my mom and stepdad came to visit and we went to The Outback. The big girl had a bite of her Uncle Jessie's ribs and thought they were fantastic. She kept that with her until her birthday and that's where she wanted to go and that's what she had. We were so glad to finally be able to do that for her.

Next Sunday we are doing a friends and family cake and ice cream day for her. We did a "just us" cake and ice cream, but we haven't done a big one yet. I don't expect much family to actually show up. Hubby's brothers suck when it comes to committment like a birthday party. It's alright when it's their child. Oh, don't get me started! Sunday is going to be fun for us anyway. When is cake and ice cream not fun?

We are all a little bummed that this weekend we didn't get to go to Disney's Night of Joy. It is a weekend long event at Disney that features concerts from some of the country's best Christian bands. We all would have loved to go. Hubby and I tried several times to win passes, but there was no way we could have afforded to take all five of us. But, hopefully, next year.

So there is the run down. I hope everyone is enjoying this look into our family. And for those of you who are a little nervous, upset, or generally not happy with the decision to home school, I hope that this gives you a little piece of mind. For those of you who are pleased with our decision, I hope this gives you comfort and we thank you for all your support.

Have a great day!

No comments: