Thursday, October 2, 2008

First day of JAM

It's over. And it was fantastic. Our first day of JAM. That's our "after school " program at our church. I have taken a volunteer position and it has been a little stressful planning this and making sure that everything was ready. I do the administartion work. I make the phone calls, make sure everyone knows who are volunteers are, get volunteers, coordinate the kids with the bus, blah, blah, blah. The list goes on and on, but I have had fantastic help.

In past years the program has had up to 60 kids. But this year we are very small. We had 19 that showed up and we were grateful for that. This year we also have no youth volunteers. So it is just us six adults. We have "leaders" that come in and lead a certain portion. Yesterday was Arts & Crafts and Games. But our two leaders this week were also two of our volunteers.

One of our volunteers is a fantastic asset to our program this year. She is phenomenal. She loves to do arts & crafts and she can handle a classroom like nobodies business. She taught the kids a great song that had to do with Noah (which is our topic for four weeks). She says her husband is even better. Wow! She doesn't go to our church, and as far as I know, doesn't go to any church. But she heard about our program and wanted her daughter to join. And since she is off on Wednesdays, it worked out. I am thanking God that she has joined us.

Even snack went well. We did apples with peanut butter and or caramel. Yum! I have had this thing for apples lately, and can't seem to get enough, so I was happy about that. We also had pretzels and juice boxes. Our snack coordinator is fantastic. She is a very healthy eater and likes to do good for you stuff. We have a "party" week coming up and she suggested that we ask the parents for the sweet stuff. She is a very good friend of mine and she cracks me up.

The kids seemed to have a good time. They liked the smaller groups and I think liked the set up. I know they enjoyed the games. You could hear them screaming all over he building. It was a hoot.

So a good time was had by all. We had kids show up and were excited to be there. The bus from the elementary school showed up on time with the right kids. And we all had a great time. I am so grateful for the opportunity God has placed in front of us to make this program a success.

Have a great day!

No comments: