Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Scared of California

Let me preface this blog by saying that I am a child of public school. For good or for bad, I loved my high school and my high school years. I missed my ten and twenty year reunions and it killed me. My parents did the best they could and my mom even wanted me to go to private school. I said no.

I have several teachers that were mentors to me. They were there when I needed someone to be there and didn't think I had anyone. My mom worked several jobs to keep us afloat and spent quite a bit of time away from home. I am not judging and I completely understand the need and the want. And times were much different now than they were then. But I had people that cared about me and took an interest in my life. They wanted to make sure that I turned into the best person I could. That being said, here goes.

The state of California had taken steps to stop parents from homeschooling their children. Certain individuals think that a parent can not teach their child without a degree. One official is quoted as saying "a primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism, and loyalty to the state and the nation." Yes, and isn't that what we are trying to do? Let's start at the beginning of that statement, shall we?

We don't "train" children. They are not animals, they are children. They are meant to laugh, play, love, and bring joy to the world around us. I teach my children that they should treat each other with respect in order for them to be treated with respect. I teach my children that we are very lucky to live in a state and a country that allows us the freedom to learn at home. I teach my children that the world is much better with "please" and "thank you". I don't train them to do anything.

If the schools are doing such a bang up job at "training children in good citizenship, patriotism, and loyalty", why was voting so low for so long? That would show that we are good citizens and have loyalty and are patriotic. Why is it that more people vote for American Idol than President?

But here's the comment that really got me: "children need to be in a place daily where they would be observed by people who had a duty to ensure their ongoing safety." Where do I start? How about the fact that my children are in a place with someone who has the responsibility of their well being? That would be home with their mother. Duh! And on his days off, with their father, too. So the daily thing I have covered. Daily they are told that they are loved and appreciated and brought into this world and this family by the loving hand of God. Daily they are told that they did a great job on something, usually several times. Daily they are thanked for a job well done on whatever their endeavor. We do not have the perfect family, and my children do get disciplined. But they know they are loved no matter what.

The big girl came home from school one day almost in tears. I asked her what was wrong, and she said her teacher had said she was stupid. That is one of the smartest children I have ever known. That is not because I am her mother. It's because she is super smart like her mother. I was furious. I calmly asked if she wanted me to talk to her teacher and she said no. On the inside I was raging. I let that one slide, but waited to see if it happened again. The day I signed the paper work to homeschool was the day the teacher called my daughter pathetic. What the heck? The only reason that b***h didn't end up on the floor that day was because we didn't have bail money. So I told my nine year old daughter that she was none of the things her teacher had called her. And then explained that she didn't have to go back if she didn't want to. She stuck it out until Christmas break, which was all we were waiting for. It was only a couple of weeks, and she seemed happier knowing that she wan't going back. It was almost like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

Let's go to the next part, shall we? Something like "observed by people who had a duty to ensure their ongoing safety." There is someone out there who can protect my kids better than I can? I would really like to see someone who can do that. Have you ever gotten between a mother and her kids at someplace like Disney or SeaWorld? It's like invoking the wrath of the mama bear. I do not know of anyone that can protect my family better than I do. They are protected physically, mentally, and spiritually. It seems that it should be my job and my hubby's job to love and protect our children. We do it for the love we receive from our children. There is nothing like having your children greet you at the door when you get home. And it doesn't matter if I've been gone two minutes or two days. They are bright, giving, loving, funny, precocious children that love to use their minds and their imaginations. They are being brought up to know that God loves them and has a plan for their lives.

I know that these people meant well in their intentions. I know that they wanted to protect children. But they went about it in the wrong way. Its as if parents have no rights or say in the education of their children. Its as if we could not possibly have brains enough to teach our children anything. I can tell you that a college degree doesn't make you smart. It isn't like the scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz". We don't get a piece of paper with our name on it and are instantly smart. There are people that are intelligent and well rounded that never went to college. Or they went to college, but never finished. I'm one of those. But I can teach my children. I don't have a degree, but I'm not ignorant.

Thankfully, the court reversed their decision. And Gov. Schwarzenegger even threatened to establish new homeschooling laws that would protect the families. He says that the parents have every right to offer a great education to their children. You go, Governor. It has opened new avenues for the homeschooling movement.

Some of the reasons we decide to homeschool had to do with our values and the quality of life we want for our children. I knew one other mother in the big girl's class, and none in my son's. I was a stay at home mom that was very involved in my children's classes, but I didn't know their friends' parents. I know all of their friends' parents now. The park friends we meet each week at the park. The church friends all go to church with us. And we have actually socialized with them. It's not just waving hi across the parking lot. I know the parents of their dance friends, and even dance with some of them in my own class.

My daughter needed a safe environment where she wasn't brow beaten and made to feel inferior. My son needed a safe environment where he could stand up and work, instead of being forced to sit down. my children need to feel loved and nurtured.

This is a different time than it used to be. And parents need to be aware that your rights are in danger. Not just the right to homeschool, but your right to have any say in their education. We chose what we did for our family and it was the best decison we ever made. We want a better education and a better life for our children than the one society says they need to have. It may not be a decision you agree with or like. But you have to agree that at least we had the right to make that decision.

Have a great day!

No comments: