Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I did it!

I got through the baby's first dance class. She was so good. And how adorable is that sweet face when her hair is in a bun. You can see all the goodness and light. It sure brought back memories.

When the big girl started dancing, her brother was three, she was five. They put these adorable girls in pink leotards and pink tights and their hair pulled back in the same room. I always said the dance teacher went out back before a class and slammed a beer. And when the classes were over, she slammed another one. When I told her that, she laughed and said that was probably how she should do it. She says it's the thought that all the kids get to go home when the 45 minute class is over.

The big girl was so cute in her pink leotard. Because she started a little "late" for dance classes, she only had to take one year of the next class, half and half. No, it's not the stuff you put in your coffee. It's half an hour of ballet and half an hour of tap. She didn't much care for that class. She was ready to move on. But she did really well, anyway.

The next year she took jazz. She really loved the movements in that class. We used to walk through the store, or the park, or wherever, and one of us would go, "Jazz hands!". Then we would all do jazz hands. It was kind of funny. Sometimes we still do that. Her next class, and the one that she is in her third year of, is hip hop. She loves that class. I am so glad. I would love for her to take a ballet class. But the money isn't growing on trees anymore, so that's out.

The boy had to take two years of the half and half class. He was so done with it. He was ready to move on as well. The jazz teacher took a chance on him and let him take jazz a year early. And he was fantastic. But if you know the boy, you know he is a major ham. He loves the spotlight. He certainly didn't get that from his mother or his father. I like it when I'm in my element, not when I'm in front of a huge audience. Not the boy! He's taking jazz again this year. He's another one I wish would take ballet. It is so good for your body.

So here we go, embarking on yet another journey of dance. I hope the baby loves it as much as her brother, sister, and mother. I highly recommend you take a dance class. I love my tap class. And don't worry about rhythm, or coordination, or any of those other excuses you might have. Half the people in your class don't have any either. Get off your butt, and do it. Dance, dance, dance!

Have a great day!

No comments: