Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lazy Days

What a fantastic lazy day it was today. At least for everybody else. We got up today a little late, but we still had enough time to make it to the 10 o'clock service at church. Hubby didn't make it today. He hurt his back Friday (again, but in a different spot this week), and was feeling kind of gimpy this morning when he got up. But he did help me get the kids ready.

The four of us got to church and it was time for the kids to go to Sunday school. I like the time of it because I can sit through the service and the kids are somewhere else. Today the boy decided he wasn't going to SS. I told him he was. He kind of looked at me a little funny, but he went. It has been probably 4 weeks since I have been able to sit and listen to a service. And I felt like I really needed to today.

The last few weeks I have either been greeting, or teaching Sunday school, or helping out with the picnic, or something that has kept me from being able to focus on the message. I got to do that today and it was fantastic. I even got to eat in peace and didn't have to chase kids or clean up spills, or keep someone occupied. Are you seeing a theme? I am. Hubby is usually very good at helping, but the last couple of weeks he's been hurt. So there wasn't a lot of help, but that's ok. I know why and that makes it better. I needed to hear God's word today, though.

I love our 10 am service, because it's a pot luck. You're supposed to bring something to share. Some people buy stuff to bring. I don't care if they cook or buy. We usually make a breakfast casserole of some sort. But last week, we stopped and I ran into the grocery store really quick. I got a cheese danish and a maple walnut danish. I'm not a big danish person, but they were at the door and on sale. And darned if they weren't the best thing I put in my mouth. Goodness gracious, I ate most of the left overs by myself.

The kids made plates and I helped the baby carry her stuff up the stairs. Then I helped the boy get his stuff up the stairs. Then he realized he didn't have a drink, so I had to go back down, and therefore back up, the stairs a third time. Good thing I'm trying to lose a little weight. I could have been really mad. Thank God for my big girl. She is so fantastic to her Mama. She got all her stuff all by herself, and got it all upstairs. Woohoo! They finally got all settled and it was time for me to go back downstairs.

I got to sit by my friend Melanie. I don't always get to do that, and it was nice. She's the one that helped me get all my info for homeschooling. What a phenomenal woman she is. She has about the most even temper I have ever seen. I rarely see her fuss at her kids or raise her voice. She doesn't have to. But I'm getting off the subject (duh!). It was nice to be able to sit with adults, at an adult table. It seems like lately I've been sitting at the kid table alot.

When church was over, it was time to round up my heathen children and head home. I called my hubby to let him know we were on our way home. I told him he needed to kick all his friends out and the party was over. He laughed at me. Not alot of people come all the way out to our house. But that's ok, too. That's one reason we moved where we did. We had some people coming around that we didn't feel comfortable having around.

I worked my booty off while everybody else played. I folded the laundry from last week and started on it for this week. I folded 9 loads of laundry. Everybody has to put their own stuff away, but I fold it. I also hang all the clothes, except hubby's work shirts. I tell him I don't wear them, I'm not putting them away. Same deal for the kids, except their hang up stuff. They can't reach the bar to put the hangers on. I also loaded the dishwasher, cleaned off the counters in the kitchen, cleaned out the boy's half of the closet, went through a bag of clothes for him, got that stuff washed and put away, made a killer dinner, and got the kitchen cleaned up when I was done.

While the kitchen was getting cleaned, hubby put the kids in the shower and got them into pajamas. We had a movie night again tonight. We've been doing that alot lately and I like that, too. I popped pop corn, the real stuff not microwave, and we watched Galaxy Quest when the kids were done getting ready for bed. The oldest wanted her hair put into curlers, so I did that, too.

It was a very good day and alot got accomplished. The kids played, and kept the fighting to a minimum. I really enjoyed that. And we got to spend time together as a family. The baby fell asleep during the movie so she got to bed early. The oldest and the boy have decided they want to sleep together, so they are. Hubby is asleep watching fishing. And I'm headed to bed when I'm done with this.

If you get the chance for a lazy day, take it.

Have a great day!

No comments: