Thursday, July 3, 2008

20th Reunion

So I find out today that my 20th high school reunion is on the 19th. What a big giant bummer that is. Partly because I cannot believe that 20 years ago, I graduated from high school. Where the hell did the time go and what the freak have I been doing? Having a life, getting married, moving out of state, having kids, and who knows what else. But it got me really thinking about back then and about now. The other reason it's a bummer is because I don't know if we're going to be able to go.

I think back to when I was young and stupid and full of dreams for my future. My big dream that hardly any one knew was that I wanted to get my degree in Marine Biology and work with the dolphins at Sea World. I had my life planned out and knew exactly what I was going to do. And then life stepped in my way and there went all my plans. I have since found out that Marine Biologists do not work with the dolphins at Sea World. They are animal psychologists. But that doesn't mean that I couldn't have done it.

I loved marching band. Call me a dork, geek whatever. But the term I prefer is "band weenie". But I would like to see you pick up an instrument, play it well, play music from memory, and march at the same time. Specially in competition. That was so much fun. Besides, you have not had a good time until you have ridden on the school bus to an away game and made out with David Buell on the way home. Woowee. Yeah, my kids will not be reading this. The band always got made fun of, but let me see you have a really good time at a high school football game with out one.

I always wanted to be popular. But it took me until I was a junior to realize, in some weird, warped way, I was popular. Everybody knew me. I couldn't walk down the hall between classes without someone saying hello or stopping me to talk. I may not have been in the popular group, but I was popular with my friends. I even got special treatment from the principal because of who I was. But when you're part of a very small ethnic group, and you have a 4.0 grade average, the principal is pretty cool to you.

Of course, the first time people saw me with a wine cooler in my hand, you could have heard a pin drop. I believe the comment was, "I thought you studied all weekend". I never studied, but I still managed to keep straight A's. I won't even talk about what else was in my pocket. But some of you know ;). Anyway, just because I got good grades didn't mean I didn't have fun, too.

I am one of those strange people that had a really good time in high school. It makes up so much of who I am and who I became and what I've done. Who couldn't let an experience like that not affect them? Good, bad or other wise, it was fantastic for me. I even liked most of my teachers. Some of them were mentors that I will never forget. They were there for me when my mother couldn't be. They were there for me when I was heart broken, heart happy, confused, sick, down trodden, and what ever else.

Some might ask why I home school if I had such a great time in school. It is not what it used to be. When I see the state our schools are in today, it's not something I want my kids to be a part of. Some high schools may be fantastic, mine was. But the ones around here scare the crap out of me. I don't want my kids exposed to all the crap that goes on now. Do I want them in a bubble?Tell me you wouldn't keep yours in a bubble if you could. I don't want them in a bubble, but I don't want them in the rat infested places around here. I do mean the ones with two feet as well as the ones with four.

All in all, I had a great time and I love my high school. Hopefully, I'll get to see every one there.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Island Breeze said...

Sometimes I wonder what else was in that pocket? But then, it would remove the mysteriousness that makes you.....YOU!