Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Reading and sleeping

So, I'm reading this book. It's about to kill me. I love to read. I will read almost anything I can get my hands on. Except science fiction and fantasy. That's not really my bag. But I like most everything else. I am a romance fiend by the way. And I'm not embarassed about it either. They are definitely not like your mother's Harlequin books. They even have a series called Blaze. And yes, they are hot. It's just this side of erotic fiction. But let me say, whoooooo!

Anyway, I started reading this book called "Angela's Ashes". It won a Pulitzer Prize for Pete's sake. But talk about a depressing, boring, hard to read, try to stay awake book. It's about a man who was born in America to Irish parents. When he is a small boy, his family packs up and moves to Ireland. He loses a baby sister and twin brothers to death, probably to starvation. His father drinks away any money he makes or gets. It does make you happy about whatever blessings you have.

But my question is "Who is the idiot that nominated this book for a Pulitzer Prize?". I know that apparently it is thought to be a fantastic book by a lot of people, but come on. I can't stand to not finish a book, no matter how bad it is. And I have read some really bad books. But I am this close to putting it down. I have to force myself to read it.

After I read the description (don't believe everything you read), I thought it was going to be a really fantastic read. My advice, don't waste as much time as I have. You would think with a shelf full of books and trip to the library every week I could find something decent to open. Unfortunately, our library is really small. I even joined a book club, but money has been so tight lately, I haven't been able to afford any books.

So my recommendation is this. Skip it. Unless you are in the mood to be bored and depressed, then I would move on to better and greener pastures. You should pick up a book called "The Cupcake Queen". It's a Harlequn. Feisty heroine, handsome hero, alot of tension, fighting, and making love. It's one of my favorites.

Have a great day!

No comments: