Friday, July 25, 2008

Getting By

So, here it is Friday again. I like Fridays. We were at the park again today. We haven't been in a couple of weeks, and it was nice to get back to some sort of routine. There weren't many of us there today. Six families, and that was nice.

The boy had a couple of issues today. The group he usually plays with was trying to keep another kid away from where they were. The other kid isn't part of our group. Anyway, my boy and the other kid got into it. Apparently the other kid started hitting my boy. So what did he do? My boy grabbed the other kid by the arm and twisted it. Not enough to break it, but enough to have him running to his parents.

One of the boys came and told me what was happening,and there I go charging after my son. I was furious that he had hurt another person. So after he got a stern talking to, he told me about the other kid hitting him first. I tried to impress upon him that he should have walked away immediately. If there were continued problems, he should have come to get me. He needs to learn to not hurt people just because he is getting hurt. I'm all for defending yourself, but if you can remove yourself from that situation, then remove yourself. Violence doesn't solve conflict. I should know.

He ended up having to sit with us moms for about 10 minutes. That is forever for him. He can't stand it. All those kids playing and there he is, sitting. When he went back to play, the boy that told on him decided to start more trouble. Because one of our other friends came and said he was telling my son one thing and the group another. My poor boy was beside himself. We got that straightened out and he ended up playing for most of the rest of the afternoon.

Then later, about 30 miutes before we left, I hear him screaming for me. I thought he had broken something. No, there he was running straight for me. Apparently, some girl had been throwing sticks and pine cones at him. So he threw them back at her. She got mad, and chased him. Not nice. He had asked her to stop throwing things at him, and she didn't quit. I had to calm him down from that one, too. Bless his little pea picking heart. When I went to talk to the girl, she ran. And hid behind a tree. I guess her mom, or whoever, saw me go over there and wasn't happy about it. But she didn't come over and say or do anything. She just stood where she was and called for her daughter. She didn't come out from behind the tree until I left.

It was an eventful day for my sensitive boy. I had a pretty good day actually. I was a little upset that I didn't have more for lunch for us, but that happens sometimes. We were all pretty happy by the end of the day. The girls were fantastic.

My oldest had her feelings hurt a little. The boy was messing with a stick and a spider. He hit a spider, and she thought it landed on her. It didn't, but she was still creeped out a little. She got over it with a big mama hug. There is nothing like it.

The girls played so well today with everybody. Big kids, little kids, boys, girls, whatever. I love that. There is so much joy in the laugh of a child.

Have a great day!

No comments: