Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken and Cole Slaw

See what happens when people take seriously what was poked in fun? My friend G had posted one day that she had cabbage and chicken. What could she make with that? I said chicken coleslaw. That planted the seed alright. I hijacked her idea, created a recipe and we had chicken wraps with leek and bok choy coleslaw with sliced apples on the side. I am so full, I cannot stand myself. Here's what I did:

Cole Slaw:

1 leek
1 baby bok choy
1/2 cup mayo
Juice from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut off the root end and trim the most of the green ends from the leek. Slice leek at least into quarters lengthwise. Rinse under cool water. Pat dry. Slice thinly crosswise. Place in mixing bowl. Cut root end from bok choy. I also cut off most of the stem. Seperate leaves and rinse under cool water. Pat dry. Stack leaves three or four at a time. Roll up and slice into thirds lengthwise. Slice thinly across the cuts. Add to bowl. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss to mix well. Add mayo. If it's not enough, add more by small spoonfuls. Add lime juice. Mix well. Adjust seasonings. Set aside in frig until ready to use.   

Since I just threw it together, please don't hold the measurements against me if they aren't quite right. I don't measure unless I'm following someone else's recipe. And not necessarily then, either.

I had also boiled a chicken not sure at first what I was going to do with it. After deciding chicken wraps, I knew I didn't want plain chicken. I chunked it up and tossed it in a pan with some butter. I also added a little salt and pepper, cumin, Jamaican jerk, and a little oregano. I tossed it around until it was all coated and warm and sizzling. I also added some lemon juice and some lime juice. It was good!!

Hubby warmed up the tortillas. We added chicken, cole slaw, and some pineapple salsa. The crunch of the leeks and bok choy, the warm, soft tortilla, the bursting with flavor chicken, and the sweet salsa were a super good combination. I got a high five from hubby. I like it when that happens.

Have a great day.

3 comments:

Big Sis said...

I really wanna hate you right now. But I still love you.

Cristy said...

I love you and your size 0s. ;~P

Amy Lou said...

Can you come cook for me please? The doctor says I need to eat healthy and I think I need a personal chef. Please.