Friday, October 24, 2008

Cooking Out and a Busy Week

Whoo wee! Am I glad that it's Friday. And not just for the obvious reason that Friday is our favorite. It has been a busy week for the kids, and for Mama, too. Monday was actually our slow day this week. I liked Monday.

Tuesday started off by taking hubby to work, early for us. We had to leave the house about 7 to get there in time. Then we had to come all the way home because the big girl didn't bring a brush. Let me tell a story. When hubby is on call, we take him to work the first day. That way he doesn't leave his personal truck at work. When he's on call, he brings the work truck home. When the kids were in school and we had to do this, I would barely get the kids there on time. It's almost an hour and a half round trip. Tuesday morning we had our volunteer day at our church's food pantry. The big girl was dressed, but hadn't brushed her hair. So all the way home for a brush. She said she would just wear the hood on her jacket, but I told her no. It really wouldn't have worked out, I've tried that. It turned out to be a really long day with a little extra work at church. We didn't get home until after 12. And then we had to school.

Wednesday is usually our busy day. But this week it seemed like it wasn't that bad. We got a lot done in the morning before we had to leave for my dance class. I got everybody dropped off and headed off. My dance teacher seemed a little discombobulated. Usually that's me. Class was fantastic, though. I always have the best time. We ran a little late, but my mother in law had the kids ready. Except the big girl. She is so slow moving. My mother says she is just like my Mamaw, not in a hurry. We had to make two stops on the way. We had to stop at 2 dollar stores to get trick or treat bags for the school supplies that were donated to us at church. They didn't have enough at the first one which is why we stopped at the second one. And on to church.

This was our last week of Noah. Next week is our Fall party. Then we start Christmas Around the World. I am really looking forward to that. We did missions with our kids and took them on a mini field trip around our church. We took them to the food pantry, the preschool, and then the sanctuary at our church. We discussed the stained class windows and what each scene means and is. My kids knew each one, but that's our church. We talked about how each of us has a mission, a ministry. And although it may not be a pulpit that we stand behind, our lives are our ministry. The way we act, talk, and interact with others is our ministry. And with one wrong word, or right action, people will either embrace Christ or deny him. It actually seemed to get through to several of them. It's the planting of the seed.

Thursday was the first day of our new science co-op. It was really fun, and for the kids, too. We talked about energy and the different types. There were 14 kids there, but only 8 really participated. The other 6 were 5 and under, and wandered off. But that was ok, too. The kids did a really great worksheet that listed several different items. They had to tell which type of energy each item started with and what they ended with. They learned that energy is neither created nor destroyed, but changed into different types of energy. They made windmills out of straws, colored paper, and brads. They turned out really well. The kids went outside and the wind was blowing pretty good. The windmills just spun and spun. It was fantastic.

Friday was park day. Today was our cookout. I brought the charcoal and everybody else brought something to throw on the grill. It turns out we all brought hot dogs, except for one family. They brought fantastic looking and smelling marinated chicken breasts. Yummy. It rained on us for a while. Shortly after I got the charcoal going, it started to rain. I covered the grill with foil to help protect the coals. It worked and we ate about 30 minutes later.

Everybody brought a side dish to share. I made a fantastic Italian pasta salad. We had homemade macaroni and cheese, banana pudding, and a cake that was simply sinful. And we had chips and dips and grapes and all sorts of goodies. Then we did our candy exchange. We had all brought candy to share and swap. I went with another mom to round up kids. We told probably 3 kids, and they spread the word about candy faster than we ever could. It's a magic word with kids. It was fantastic.

Nobody wanted to go home. But, alas, it was that time. We all headed out about 4:30 and planned to meet again next Friday. One of our moms let us know that her husband is going to "sponsor" park day once a month or so and send a couple of cases of bottled water to the park for everybody. He runs a local Sonic, and wants to try to set up a night where we can all come and get free ice cream. He is not hurting my feelings at all. Free ice cream and a chance for us all to socialize? Where do we sign? You should see the kids holding court at the park. It's hilarious.

Tomorrow, we go to church to clean out the closet we use to store our supplies for our JAM program. It is so crammed, you can't walk in there if you wanted to. Hubby got asked by one of his brothers to play in a golf tournament tomorrow. I said no! It's my turn. And I need the help. I certainly can't do it by myself with just the kids. I'd end up driving myself crazy. There won't be anyone else there, so I don't have to worry about the kids disturbing anyone. But they would be all over me every couple of minutes, and I don't have that kind of time. And Sunday I teach Sunday school. And one day comes rest. I don't know what day, but one day.

So that's us in a nutshell this week. It was long , productive, and we had a great time. Next week is Halloween. The big girl and the boy are wearing the same pirate costumes from last year. The baby is wearing a witch costume that was the big girl's several years ago. I'm all good with that. I'll post the pictures if I remember to take them.

And we are coming home for Thanksgiving. I am so excited. I need a family fix really bad. I usually get bummed out from about Thanksgiving to Christmas because I miss my family. I'm hoping this will be enough to get me through. I am excited about seeing my mom's new house and seeing my sister and some of my friends. So look for trouble come November!

Have a great day!

No comments: