Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cheater Field Trips, Algae, and Science

Just a quick one because I have to get ready for church. I know, though, that if I don't get this written, I'll forget, then I would kick myself because I didn't write it. That was a really long sentence. I editted it, so it could have been longer. Oh, comma, you are my friend.

Most of the famly is sunburned. We went to a place called Wild Waters yesterday with our youth group from church. That was fun! They have a handful of water slides, a wave pool, and a really cool kiddie area that made me wish I was a couple of feet shorter. You know it had to be good if I was wishing to be shorter! I like activities like this because we can go as a family. I didn't ride the slides. I like the cool blow up water slides, but I am not much in to the big slides. Hubby, bless that beautiful man, took the baby and her friend S on all the rides. Hubby said he needed to start spending more time with her and this was a great opportunity for that. One of the other moms had rented a cabana so we rented one next to her. It gave us lots of room to put our stuff and some much needed shade. I spent most of my time in the wave pool because they didn't have a lazy river. I like a lazy river, but the wave pool did the trick just fine. The big girl went with her two friends all over the park. The boy stayed with his ride "buddies" K & B (love them!!) for quite awhile, then he hung out with me. The baby stayed mostly with hubby. Showers when we all got home and lots of Burt's Bees After Sun Care. This morning we only look like we were out in the sun for a couple of hours instead of all day. Amazing stuff. I counted it as a field trip, well, because I can. I saved the admission tickets and they'll go in the portfolio. One of the best parts was that a local radio station sponsored a day at the park. It saved our family of five well over $100! We couldn't have gone if it had been a normal admission day. We had a blast!

We had algae in our pool. Can't stand that. We had so much rain and then sun and then rain, it made the pH levels and chlorine levels all wonky. We haven't been able to swim in it for over a week. Hubby went to the pool store to see what we could do. We had tried almost everything. So we shocked it. I didn't want to, but we had to. The process should be done today, so hopefully we get to swim in it tonight or tomorrow. I'm opting for tomorrow since we are all sunburned and we have quite the busy day today. The pool looks the best it ever has I have to admit. The water is super clear. I'm not sure I want to see some of the bugs that inevitably find their way into the pool. It's like swimming in the ocean. I don't need to see the creatures I'm swimming with. Sometimes oblivion is a good thing.

We still haven't started our science yet. It is what it is. We'll get to it when we get to it. I am learning to get over it and myself. I just marked it out and went on. No science this week coming up because it's a veggie co-op week. We might get to it next week. Or we might not. Some of our extras are getting started and I need to get that worked into our schedule. I think I might try to get our bible lap book done in one day, which is totally possible. If I just do it and not lollygag with it. The kids are, however, loving history. That's how science got left out. We watched and talked about our history for over an hour one day. ALT, you would be so proud!! Love it when their minds are opened and learning and imagination and creativity just take over. That is one reason I love being home with my kids. I would miss that if they were in school and that is just too amazing to miss. 

So that's the run down. I did jot some things down for next time. Ooh, a list. Not that I'll follow it, but I have one!

Have a great day.

    

No comments: