Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In the Dark

If you have time to watch the video I posted, please do. It's about an hour and a half long, so get comfy. Hubby and I have been looking into health and nutrition for a couple of years now. There is so much information out there. It seems like whatever issue you are looking up, there is a pro and a con study. This is good, but wait, here's a study that says it isn't. It can be confusing, but I always look first at who funded the study. That tells you more about the study than the outcome does. One thing that cannot be denied is that fresh, organic fruits and veggies are better for you than anything that comes processed in a box.

We have eaten organic produce exclusively for the last three years. It really has made a difference in our health. While many of our friends and family have battled flu and colds and mystery illnesses, we have been blessed enough, and healthy enough, to skip that. I know that some of you are concerned thinking I am anti-doctor. Let me set the record straight here and now. I am anti-STUPID. Stupid people make me angry. Yeah. I'm angry alot. Wellness is not found in a pill created from who knows what. Nutrition is most definitely tied into how our bodies deal with stress, illness, and even stupidity. Nutrition is very much tied into healing our bodies.

Hubby and I decided that we need to focus more on those fruits and veggies and less on the junk. We have decided that at least three meals a week will be vegetarian. I remember when I was a kid, Mermie made beans and cornbread for dinner. I asked where the meat was. Here I am now taking that out of my diet as often as I can. That's just weird.

For dinner last night we had portabello burgers. I don't mean burgers with portabellos. I mean the portabello was the burger. I had seen them before, but had never cooked them. I like mushrooms, and these in particular, but I was a little nervous about trying them as a main dish. Shame on me. They were simple, easy, and super yummy. Hubby said I could make them again. Tomorrow was good for him. Yeah, no. Tomorrow is my birthday dinner and I ain't cooking it. Here's the recipe. I got it from food.com, which is one of my favorite sites. I think out of the many, many recipes I've gotten from that site, there was only one or two that didn't make the cut.

Portabello Burgers:

4 portabello caps (save the stems if you like to use for something else)
1 cucumber, sliced thinly
1 tomato, sliced thin
4 hamburger buns
3 Tbls butter
1/2 head lettuce

Gently rub mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. Do not wash. The mushrooms will absorb all the water and be tough and chewy when you cook them. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Place mushrooms in pan, stem side down. Cook 5 minutes. Flip mushrooms. If your pan looks dry, add a little more butter. When the caps are tender or soft to the touch, they are ready. Set on paper towel covered plate to drain a little. Top burger with cucumber and tomato.

I already changed the recipe. It originally called for margarine. We don't use margarine. It's one step away from plastic and when heated has no redeeming health benefits at all. We use organic butter. I don't know why you would use 1/2 a head of lettuce. We just used what we needed. I didn't use the cucumbers on the burgers, because we ate them on the side. I think these would be really good wrapped in a lettuce leaf and with out the bun. We also didn't add cheese, but they didn't need any. If you didn't know they were mushrooms, you wouldn't know they weren't meat.

Read that last sentence until it makes sense. Took me a minute, but I got there. Easy, quick, and simple. That's my kind of recipe. I served it with a plate of grapes, apples, and strawberries. We also had squash from the tower and onions sauteed in organic butter and coconut oil. My plate was clean, hubby's plate was clean, and our friend T, who joined us for dinner, cleaned his plate, too. I call that a success!

Have a great day.  

2 comments:

Big Sis said...

I know you think you're on vacation, but guess who's doing most of the cooking while you're here!!! Love you!! Now go pack!!

Cristy said...

I don't mind doing the cooking, so there! And I'm not packing 'til tomorrow. Double HA!! Love you!!!