Thursday, June 9, 2011

Going Veggie

I'm tired. It was veggie co-op today and I worked my hiney off. But I did promise several people I would post a recipe. This is the mango quinoa salad we had for dinner the other night. It was alright. I have a better use for mangos. Like peeling them and eating them. Go figure that. I wasn't that impressed but I think it's because the dressing didn't have as much flavor as I thought it would. Here we go, short and sweet. Like the mangos. I got this from SavvyVegetarian.com. Check her out for great ideas.

Mango Quinoa Salad:

Salad:

1 cup quinoa
2 cups cold water
1/4 tsp salt
1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup blanched slivered or sliced almonds
2 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced

Dressing:

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp turmeric
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper, to taste

Wash quinoa and boil in water 10 minutes. Cover and let quinoa sit until all water is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with a fork and let it cool to room temperature. Combine mango, cucumber, almonds, and pumpkin seeds. Heat 1 tsp oil in small pan and fry turmeric for 30 seconds and cool. Add lime juice. Mix in olive oil, cilantro, salt and pepper with a whisk or fork. Add mango mix to cooled quinoa. Add dressing. Serve immediately or cover and chill.   

I added two mangos. I probably should have just added the one. Hubby and the big girl are not huge fans of mango. I was hoping the dressing would add more flavor, but it didn't. Maybe I didn't fry it long enough. I just don't know. I have never used turmeric before, but it has great medicinal properties. I also have several recipes that I haven't tried because I haven't had it. I'm going to try one of those. I DO NOT like cilantro. It tastes nasty, smells nasty, and blech! Instead, I picked some basil from the tower. That was really good with this. I cooked my quinoa in my rice pot instead of on the stove top. It came out beautifully. Still getting used to the texture. Just a little different than what I'm used to. I also didn't have the almonds or pumpkin seeds. Maybe that would have helped. If you try this and like it, let me know what you did. I might try it again. One day.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Big Sis said...

If I knew how to cook better, I'd eat way more veggies. But really need protein because of all the working out. Need to know how to get that in my veggies. Maybe you can show me while you're here. See you soon!!!