Sunday, April 10, 2011

Changes

I have decided, this late in the game, that I need to change some things up and get me out of my rut. Without our extras like dance and co-op, we are at our wit's end. We just sit around and stare at each other and wait for the paint to peel off the walls. It's not that bad, but it's getting there. Add to that this glorious state of limbo, which prevents us from joining any long term activities, and we are getting cabin fever pretty quickly. So I am changing the rules at the Kula A Hale Na'auao Akamai.

  • I have added home ec things to some of our days. It's the boy's turn to learn to clean the tub. He likes that more than the toilets. Nobody likes cleaning the toilets. The boy and the big girl have gotten the run down on the counters, sink, toilet, and the big girl the tub. The baby has gotten the run down of the counters and the sink. She is also brushing up on her dusting skills. And since I wash at least two loads of laundry a day, there's always something to fold and put away. The big girl has shown some renewed interest in cooking. She has mastered several breakfast dishes, so on to lunch/dinner we go. And everybody knows how to vaccuum now. 
  • I am also adding reading blocks to our day. It is so hard to get the boy to sit down and read, but he will do it if it's for school. I am good with that. And with all the books I have from the library, I need the time to read. The big girl and the baby have no problem with our added reading times. It's getting them to stop reading that can become a problem. They get that from their mother.
  • With the move (maybe) coming up, I started to think about the places I wanted to take the kids to see. Our field trip last week came from that. I have a few ideas about some things, so I am going to try to set up a trip a week. I am going to stay as local as possible and as free as possible. Gotta love free. And there are so many cool things around this place.
  • I have signed up for a beginning bread maker's class. It's one lesson, and my friend G is leading the class. I have made bread before and we liked it, but I got out of the habit. I think this may help me get out of that rut, and it will give the big girl and me something to do together. We can pass that knowledge on down the line. How cool would that be?
We were slackers last week. I need to drag out the lesson plan and rework it. Again. Good thing I have pencils and erasers. I don't plan in pen. You never know when a great field trip will pop up.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

Big Sis said...

Ooooo!!! When you guys get out here, you "home ec" the heck outta my place!!! Love you!!