Monday, February 28, 2011

Berry Pickin'

 We had such a good time yesterday. We went to a local strawberry field and picked and picked. This is something we have wanted to do for a very long time, we just hadn't. We would think about how much it costs and freak a little and not do it. Or just get lazy and not do it. Or freak about the money and get lazy and not do it. Really, though, the cost was way better than you get at the store and we got more strawberries than I know what to do with. The picking was free and so was the playground. Wait 'til you see the zip line pics. Those are next. The best part was that nobody fussed, whined, or complained one time. Even the kids were awesome. Blogger isn't letting me post above the first pic, so here's the rundown.

This is me with my girls. We had two boxes, so we got two rows to pick. We picked and picked and picked. You know it was fun because the big girl didn't freak about the bees. Love that!

This is one of the plants. They were gorgoeus. We have tried to grow strawberries with lackluster results. We were very impresed.
 This is my boys. Hubby took the boy and they just plowed through their row. They did a great job. There wasn't a decent strawberry left when they were done. This was fairly early in the picking process. I told hubby I'd like to try to go back one more time before the season is over. Look at the size of the berries the boy is holding. Those bad boys were huge!

This is what we ended up with. It doesn't look like much, but when it got weighed out, that was a different story. And as I was putting them away last night, I realized how much we REALLY had. Good grief. I sent a 1.25 gallon baggie of them with hubby to take to his parents. It is about half full and hardly made a dent in our stock. They may get another bag.
 See, I actually picked. It was fun. It was relaxing. I am kicking myself in the butt for not going sooner. More amazing, hubby got a shot of the baby picking. Getting her to work, well, that's a blog for another time.
Two things about this pic. This is just one side of the field, and doesn't even show the entire side. It was huge. Strawberries everywhere. And second, I don't know who these kids are, but that's not the important thing. Hubby struck up a conversation with their dad while picking. At one point we look over at the cute one in the blue shirt. I'm glad they didn't charge a grazing fee. Poor dad would have gone broke. The kid had eaten so many berries, he had strawberry juice running down his chin, his throat, and all over his face. It didn't help that his hands were filthy, dirty, which clung to all that sticky fruit juice. He made those strawberries look good!

I'm going to say it again. We had the best time!! The boy, who would eat all the berries we picked, has been put on notice that he is on strawberry rations since a blueberry incident on Saturday. I'll try to blog about that later. What is even funnier, I kept wishing I had a unit study on strawberries that we could have done first. I do have one on apples. Maybe a road trip when the weather gets cooler. And, we missed Big Sis. Strawberries are her very favorite and we talked and thought about her while we were picking. She would have looked like the little boy in blue. I love her!!!!!

Have a great day.

No comments: