Friday, February 19, 2010

Yummy

When I was a kid, my mom would let my sister and I pick the veggie for the night. She would get to pick one night and I would get the next. She would always pick green beans. Mercy, I could not stand green beans. I just knew she picked them night after night because she knew I couldn't stand them. No, it was because she liked them, and I didn't like them. To get back at her, I picked a veggie that she despised. That was the wonderful Brussel sprout. I love those little things. I thought she was going to pass out when she had to eat one. As the years have gone on, I love them even more. I tell most people that and they generally have the same reaction- Blech!!

We had our Valentine's exchange at the park today. Wouldn't you know that Brussel sprouts came up. I was asked how to cook them because they can be so bitter. Yes, they can be. Here's a recipe that I got from Emeril Lagasse when he was on Good Morning America. My hubby will eat the sprouts this way, so I am sharing with you. I'll fill you in on my tweaks because some dietary restrictions came up in the conversation. Hold on to your hats.

Brussel Sprout and Cheddar Cheese Bake

4 slice bacon, diced
1 cup onion, small diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbls unsalted butter
1 lb Brussel sprouts, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup chicken stock or water
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cook bacon in a saute pan until crisp and golden. Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Add onions to the pan and cook until wilted. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and add to bacon.

Add Brussel sprouts to pan with unsalted butter. Cook until they start to brown. Add chicken stock, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Flip sprouts and continue to cook another minute or two. Remove and mix with bacon, onions, and garlic. Toss together and pour into a 10 X 6 baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve immediately.

First of all, I put everything in the dish I'm going to cook it in. I am not making another dish to wash. The recipe says to add Brussel sprouts 1/2 at a time, as well as the stock, salt, and peppers. My pan is big enough that I can do all of them at the same time. You don't have to use bacon. You could actually brown the Brussel sprouts in olive oil instead. It's about flavor. I like the bacon, so I use it. The reason for the unsalted butter is because of the salty bacon. If you have unsalted use it. If you don't, then don't. I use home made chicken stock. If you have a brand that you prefer, use it. Publix is having a buy one get one this week. If you are avoiding dairy, I'm not sure what to tell you. If any of you have a suggestion, please feel free. Maybe a nice goat cheese instead if that's acceptable. I would use a strong cheese. Use something that is equivalent that you can eat.

So there it is. My family's favorite Brussel sprout recipe. I like them steamed with butter. I have another that I will post at another time, but my timer is going off and hubby just got home. Dinner!

Have a great day!

3 comments:

BeckyJoie said...

My hubby will thank you for this recipe. He loves brussel sprouts and so do I. Thanks for posting.

Big Sis said...

You're the reason I still gag when I hear the words brussel sprouts!!

Mermie said...

but it was funny watching you. Just couldn't laugh!!!!!