Monday, February 8, 2010

We Heart Alpacas

I tried uploading pictures, but all the connections aren't there from when I got the computer back. It's very frustrating, but I'll do the best I can in print. As soon as I get it figured out, I'll post the pics. On with the show.

We took an impromtu field trip today. One of the moms from the chatboard set it up. There were quite a few families there and we got to meet some new to our group. We went to Acres of Angels Alpacas. I wasn't sure until probably Saturday if we were going or not, and decided what the hay. It was cold this morning, too. I had the kids in two shirts with jackets and coats. I was hoping the alpacas were ready to snuggle.

The first alpacas we saw were the soon to be mamas. They were so stinking cute. They really are beautiful animals. They gestate for 11 1/2 months. At that little piece of info, I was extremely glad we only do 9. They were friendly and polite. I do mean the alpacas and not the kids. The kids were, too. We got to go into a pasture with mamas and their babies. There was one little guy that loves to be pet. He was black and soft and fuzzy and so sweet. He even followed the boy around for a little bit. The boy loved it. It was like having a pet. We were handed treats and allowed to feed them to the animals. We stayed there for quite awhile and then moved on to look at the two different kinds of alpacas that they have on the farm. I meant to look up the names before I started blogging, but it's been that kind of day.

Here are some facts we learned about alpacas:

  • They are related to the camel family.
  • Their wool is extremly soft and very valuable.
  • They will spit at you. If they feel threatened, that's how they warn you off.
  • They have a three sectioned stomach, as opposed to the four stomachs of cows.
  • They only have upper teeth in the very back to help grind their food and chew their cud.
  • Whatever color the wool is close to the skin, the animal is considered that color. For example, if the alpaca is brown, but the wool is white close to the skin, it's considered white.
  • White is the dominant color of the alpaca. They are mountain, cold weather animals. It works as camouflage.
  • They do not like to be alone. To start a farm or herd, you must start with two.
  • You do not brush or wash alpacas like you might a horse. They need to stay just like they are, grassy and all
  • They do not have lanolin in their wool.
  • Their wool is extremely soft.
  • I want two alpacas.
  • They are not pack animals. They are not large enough to carry alot of weight.
  • They should not be ridden. (I had to ask that one for the kids. You know the boy would jump on if he had half a chance.)

That third to the last one should actually read "we". We want alpacas. Not that we would really get two, but they were such great animals. They only get to about 200 pounds (a large male) and can be very gentle creatures. The owners' son had one that is his pet and will play soccer with him. I thought that was way cool.

We were given a small packet of alpaca wool before we left. It is so soft. I love the way it feels. You can make yarn out of their wool and crochet with it. The owner had two teddy bears that were made from alpaca wool and they were super soft. All the kids wanted one. I keep thinking about a sweater or a blanket. There, now you already have an idea about what to get me for Christmas.

After the field trip, we went to a park that is relatively close and had lunch with a couple of our home school families that hang out with pretty regularly. It was a new park for my kids and they loved it. It was easily twice the size of our regular Friday park. It is definitely a winter park, though. There is no shade over the play ground. That is too much for summer time here. Then it was home and a giant nap.

It was a great trip. I wish hubby could have been there, but somebody has to keep us in the style that we have become accustomed to. And poor baby has had overactive sinuses for a couple of weeks now. It's starting to make him feel bad. I too over today and put him on a regimen of double Juice Plus, Fenugreek, and acidophilus. Hopefully, he'll start feeling better in the morning. I'm taking as good of care of him as he'll let me.

If you are looking for something fun to do with your kids, contact the alpaca farm. Go see an alpaca show. Or visit some at your local fair if they have them. They are beautiful, gentle creatures. And next time you come by the house, you never know. We may all have new sweaters.

Have a great day!

No comments: