Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Books on Tape

They still make them, but we listen to the ones on CD. We don't have a tape player or we would listen to those. Anyway, here's what we've been listening to, and reading, too.

We just read "The Wind in the Willows". I had read it as a child and decided it was time to introduce my kids to it. It was just as phenomenal as I remembered it being. The kids loved it. They love to have action and adventure and humor and all those things that we all like in a good book. We laughed at Mr. Toad and agreed that without Badger and Rat, the rest of them would have fallen apart.

We are listening to "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". That is a great book. We are always disappointed when the CD is over and we can't listen to a new one right away. There are 23 discs to this book. I told the kids there was no way that I would be able to read that one after dinner. The books are just too big. We get into unknown territory next. "The Half Blood Prince" is next and I have already ordered it from the library. The movie will be out this summer, but we won't have seen it before we read the book. Super excited about the movie.

We are reading an Animal Ark book right now called "Puppy in a Puddle". The big girl didn't want to read it just because of the title. I read her the synopsis on the back and she said, "I guess that would be good." She's really liking it. I told her to open her mind and expand her horizons. I don't know what we're reading next, but I hope it will be exciting. We are always open for suggestions.

Reading is so important. I think we will go to the kids reading when we are in the van, or even after dinner. I haven't decided yet, but we'll see what happens. It will help their reading skills and give Mama a break for a little bit, a double positive.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love, love, love reading!! We used to do more of it in our house and I'm hoping that we will get back to it this summer when life slows down a bit. One of our all time favorite read alouds was "Follow My Leader." It's about a kid who gets hit with a baseball because of someone else's carelessness and goes blind. It goes into how he learns to live life without sight and how he deals with his resentment towards the kid who caused the accident. It is absolutely wonderful!!! If you go to my blog and look at the label section on the sidebar, there is a label called book suggestions, that will take you to some posts I've done about books--adult and children.

Cristy said...

Thank you! We read as much as we can. I really think that reading is the key to all things. And the better the reader, the better the brain.

BeckyJoie said...

Cristy, I'm right in that library of books with you! I just blogged about this on one of my sites.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/thelearninghome



Did you read about the audio books link? http://www.myaudioschool.blogspot.com

Enoy your reading!