Sunday, January 31, 2010

Crock Pot Fever

I don't have to tell you how much I love park days and park mamas. They are a life line that I could not live without. I look forward to Fridays like a starving man to the buffet. We were talking about crockpotting and I was asked to add a couple of recipes. This is for you, Miss Connie.

I have not tried either of these so I'm not sure how they will turn out. I will tell you what I plan to do to change them, because I just cannot leave a recipe alone. The first one I got off of Recipezaar.com, which is fabulous. The second I got from a magazine of recipes, but since the boy cut it out, I don't have a clue what the name of it is. If any of you know, please share so I can give proper credit.

Crock Pot Shredded Turkey:

1 (12 oz) can of beer
1/2 cup butter
1 (1 1/4 oz) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
10 lbs thawed whole turkey breast
rolls

Pour beer into crock pot. Add butter and onion soup mix. Stir together. Place turkey breast into crock. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or overnight. After cooked, seperate meat from bone and discard bones. Do not discard liquid. Using two forks, shred meat. Serve warm on rolls.

That's pretty simple. I actually do not have 10 pounds of turkey breast, so I am going to use a whole, cut up chicken. I thought I had a whole chicken, but apparently I cooked it already. I also am using dry Italian dressing mix instead of the soup mix. I think with the beer, it will give it a really different flavor.

Here's number 2. I really like the sound of this one and am excited to try it. Don't let the number of ingredients intimidate you. You mix most of them together to begin with.

Sesame Pork Ribs:

3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbls cider or white wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
5 lbs country style pork ribs
1 medium onion, sliced
2 Tbls sesame seeds, toasted
2 Tbls chopped green onion

In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Add ribs and turn to coat. Place onions in a 5 qt slow cooker, arrange ribs on top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160-170 degrees. Place ribs on a serving platter, sprinkle with seeds and green onions.

I don't have the cider vinegar, so I am going to use just regular white, but add a little more brown sugar or honey to sweeten past the sour. I also don't have sesame seeds, don't have much call for them, so I'm not going to buy any. I am going to add just a touch of sesame oil, which I do have, for that flavor. Sticky, white rice (we buy Calrose) is what would be goodwith this. It would be just as good with brown, jasomine, or basmati. I've never had those, but I'm sure they're good. You could plate it on lettuce leaves. The leaves would wilt a little from the heat, and would soak up all that good flavor. My mouth is watering already.

That's what I've got. If you try these, let me know what you think. If you tweaked it, too, let me know what you did and how it worked.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Cristy said...

The chicken was delicious. After it was shredded, we added it back to the juice in the crock pot and let it sit and soak for a couple of minutes. This is one of those you can do with any kind of meat. It would be good with turkey, pork, or beef we think. It went into the recipe box. That doesn't happen unless most of us agree. We all agreed.