Friday, January 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, Big Boy

Today is the day. Nine years ago, the Big Boy made his grand debut. And what a life he has lived since. I cannot imagine how boring and staid my life would be without him. He is our funny guy, charmer, super smartie. Here is my salute to all things Big Boy.

When he was born, the doctor said, "I think he winked at me." I'm thinking he did. He loves the ladies. The best part, the ladies love him back. I always say that the woman who gets him will be sooooo lucky. He spends so much time with his mom and sisters that he knows all about women. He can sympathize and empathize. He knows when to hold your hand, or hold you. He understands about our moods. Like the song The Gambler, he knows when to hold 'em, and he knows when to fold 'em. He knows what to say to make you feel good or to make you feel better. He is a natural charmer. And if he gets a hug from a pretty lady, all the better for him. And he is an equal opportunity lover. He doesn't care how big or small, short or tall. He doesn't care what the hair color, eye color, skin color. He loves the ladies.

Way too smart for his own good is that boy. He listens to things around him, picks up those subtle clues that most people miss. He knows what you are talking about better than you do. Freaking creepy if you ask me. Hubby says he gets it from me. I'm not sure about that, I just know you have to watch what you say or he will be bringing it up later. Usually in front of company, but isn't that the way with kids? Common sense he has covered. He doesn't always use it, but what a great world it would be if we all did. Book smart does not even begin to cover the boy. He taught himself how to multiply before I could get to him. I didn't believe it, but once he showed me, what could I do but hide in the corner and rock back and forth in a quivering ball? Now if he could spell...

He loves the Lord. He is very passionate about his bible study. He loves to learn about the bible and Jesus. He is the go-to guy during the children's sermon at church. They ask a question and his hand goes up. 9 times out of 10, he's right. Sometimes it's stuff we haven't talked about yet, but that's the picking up clues I mentioned earlier. I give credit to his Sunday school teachers as well for instilling in him that love for Jesus and the knowledge he has. He wants to go and spread the word of Christ through out the world for others to know what a gift we have been given. I just smile and love him and thank God every day for him.

He is a great protector of his sisters. Nobody messes with them when he is around. He has come to blows with little boys that were messing with his little sister. He may fight like cats and dogs with her, but nobody lays a hand on her when he's on watch. He's the same way with the big girl. Nobody touches her. He thinks his big sister hung the moon just for him. I think she's pretty special, too. He has always followed her and aspired to be like her. I tell him he is in the best spot possible. He is a big brother and a little brother. That comes with a ton of responsibilty that he is still trying to figure out and work to his best advantage. But, like I said earlier, he's a smart boy. He'll get it figured out.

My boy is the perfect compliment to this family. He is kind and loving and hard headed and smart and funny and so many other things that can't be defined. I love you so much, Big Boy, and I am so very grateful to be your mama. I could not ask for a better son. I think you are the most special boy ever. Happy Birthday!

That's my boy. I love him and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

BeckyJoie said...

Your friends love the birthday boy to pieces too!

Big Sis said...

I wish I could be there to give him a big "I love you" hug. Happy Birthday!!!

Love to you all!!