Friday, January 29, 2010

Happenings

Hubby is bidding a job in Texas. He has actually bid a job in this town before, interviewed for it, but didn't get it. It's a small town. Not as small as where my mom lives now, but still. It's about 2 hours away from my sister and three from my mom. We live 16 hours away now, so that is a great improvement. We have wanted to move to Texas for quite awhile. Change is scary for me, so I need to list the pros and the cons and get some opinions. Oohh, I get to use bullet points!

Here are the pros:

  1. I will be closer to home. I miss my family. No offense to anyone, but I am a mama's girl. I always have been. I really wanted my kids to grow up closer to their cousins, their Auntie, and of course, Mermie. We would get to spend Christmas and Thanksgiving together. We would actually get to go to my nieces' birthday parties instead of just get invites. We don't actually spend that much time with the family we have here anyway, which is a waste if you ask me.
  2. I would be back in the great country, I mean state, of Texas. I really want to go back. It has been a goal of ours to get me back to the land where I come from. I like where we live now, don't get me wrong, but it is nothing like Texas. There isn't anything like Texas.
  3. Tex Mex food rules. There really isn't a great place for that kind of food around here. And they closed all the Whataburgers. Who's crazy idea was that?
  4. We would be just as close to great theme parks and historical places of interest as we are here. Remember the Alamo? San Antonio is a beautiful place, I love the Riverwalk, and they have SeaWorld. Austin is a great place to visit and as the capitol, offers such a great learning opportunity.
  5. We could still homeschool. Texas has very liberal homeschool laws, like ours. It may be odd in the new town, but we could definitely raise awareness. There may already be homeschoolers there.
  6. The housing prices are really good in that area. Hubby found a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3000 square ft. home for $98,000. Not too shabby and I might have a homeschool room.
  7. It is extremely close to a huge resevoir where the fishing is awesome. That does not hurt hubby's feelings, or the kids', at all.
  8. Hubby's brother works for a major company that rents moving trucks and equipment. That expense would be minimal.

So, now for the cons:

  • It would mean leaving everything my kids have ever really known. Our church family is here. Hubby's family is here. Our homeschool family is here. We would have to start all over without a guarantee of finding eveything we have or want to have. We would have to find all of these things, all of these people, all of these places, all over again.
  • We would need to sell or rent our house. I would prefer to sell, but with the economy the way it is, that may be difficult. We could rent it out, but would need to depend on others to oversee the renters. And you never know what you're getting with renters.
  • We would have to pack up almost immediately and go. There really wouldn't be a great lag time in taking the job and moving, so all decisions need to be made quickly.
  • It might mean putting off our vacation a couple of years. We may need the money we get from our taxes and in our vacation fund to move. Hubby's company doesn't pay moving expenses.
  • We would need to find another organic co-op or something equivalent to that. I really don't want to go back to eating pesticide laden produce. If I don't eat produce, I'll wind up weighing 800 pounds. We'll have to check it out.
  • FEAR. That is a huge con right now. Change is never good for me and we have to start from scratch after all this time. Eeeekkk!!!

The one thing I can say is that all this may be for not. Hubby may not get the job, something different may come along, or it could continue to be status quo. There are all kinds of things that can happen or not. We just need to take things one day at a time, and worry about it when, and if, it happens. In the meantime, please be in prayer with us as we ponder our future. We need all the prayerful guidance we can get.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Big Sis said...

You've picked up before and gone. You have always been the brave one in that respect. I understand about all your kids have ever known. I don't know how much land is attached to the house, but the soil out here is much richer than where you are now (think centuries of cow poop!!) so you may be able to grow your own organic produce!! Anyways, I know it's a hard decision and we will still love you and respect it no matter what you guys decide.

Love you bunches!!

Mermie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Hi! My family moved here to San Antonio a year ago, and we love it! I'm still having problems finding homeschooling groups to do things with, but we're getting there. :-) Sounds like you're actually from here, so it would probably be easier for you. Good luck, if y'all do decide to move!