Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Two Wheelin' Freedom

In all the blah, blah, blah about our week and all the school work, I forgot some really exciting news. To get there, though, you have to sit through a rambling story.

Our last house was a great little house. By little, I mean it had less than 800 square feet under the roof. It was great when hubby and I first moved in, and then came the big girl. It was still fine. Two bedroom, one bath bungalow with the three of us. When the boy came, it was a little more crowded, but still doable. When the baby came, it was time to get out. Five of us in one house with one bathroom. You do not know how many times we have been grateful for two bathrooms. I cannot even count that high. When we moved in to this house, every one had their own room. We have two bathrooms and that's great. We have a little over an acre, and the kids have plenty of room to run and play.

The problem with house number one, besides it's lack of square footage, is that it was on a very busy street. People would use our street as a cutoff, and not bother stopping at the stop sign. I would never let my kids play in the road like I used to as a kid. The problem with this house is that we are at the back of a three acre plot. You have to walk down our very long drive way to get to the road. Sometimes I make the effort and sometimes I just don't. The issue is that my kids never learned to ride a bike.

I didn't learn to ride until I was 10. I learned right before we went to Hawaii for the summer. I have never been very comfortable on a bike. It's like ice skating. I need to balance on two skinny things I'm not sure will hold me. My kids have ridden bikes with training wheels, and even have the basics down. It's a matter of getting them on something without training wheels. The big girl has tried, but has no confidence in herself on a bike. I wonder where she gets that from?

At the park the other Friday, probably two weeks ago now, I hear this from my boy, "Look, I can do it! I can do it! I'm riding a bike." My boy was riding a friend's bike, without training wheels, and mastering it, too. He was so good. I didn't have the camera, of course, so I didn't get video or pictures. I take the camera with me everywhere now. I am so proud of that boy. He is a dare devil and a half, but if he wants something, he sets his mind and works until he gets it. He wanted to ride a bike. You should have seen him work his scooter until he got that. Scares me half to death, but he is so good at what he does.

That's the big news. Now he wants a bike for Christmas. We'll see what he gets. Maybe he'll get some money for Christmas and his birthday he can use to pick out his own bike. He would love that.

Have a great day!

No comments: