Friday, January 16, 2009

Another Book Review

We finished My Side of the Mountain, and it was fantastic. It was a great and easy read that kept us all laughing and wondering. We wondered what it would be like to live off the land and try to survive. I am of the opinion that I wouldn't be on the mountain to begin with; it's too far away from the mall.

A boy named Sam Gribley decides that he is tired of living in his cramped 2 bedroom apartment in New York City with his four brothers, four sisters, and his mom and dad. 11 people in a two bedroom would probably make me want to run for the hills, too, now that I think about it. He researched wilderness living at the library and took off one day.

He met a man that lived in a cabin on the mountain. Sam had fish, but was not very good at starting a fire. So the old man taught him. And from that moment, he was good to go. You can't survive without fire.

Sam's father had told stories about a grandfather that had lived on the mountain and still had land. The grandfather had tried to be a farmer, but couldn't make it work. Sam researched at the local library and found the land. Then he went into the mountain and actually found the land. So he created a shelter and lived off Gribley land.

He did fantastic things and had so much knowledge before he went out there. His parents thought he would be back in a couple of days. And he met various visitors. One man he thought was a criminal, but he wasn't. I won't give too much away in case you want to read it.

He spent a year on the mountain, and survived through winter rather well. And he was braver than I would have been. It was an excellent book, and I highly recommend it. It had adventure and humor and was generally well written. We all enjoyed it and were disappointed when it was over. We wanted to keep reading, but alas it was time to move on. Now we are reading Ten Kids, No Pets. I hope it's as good. Right now, it's pretty funny and interesting.

That's my review. I give it **** out of *****. The last star is because the ending could have answered a couple of questions that it left us with. Overall, it was a great family read.

Have a great day!

No comments: