Thursday, December 4, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

Vacation is over and it is time to get back to it. That doesn't mean I want to, it just means we have to. We had such a great time in Texas and when we got back, there wasn't time to breathe before it was back at our busy life.

We got back at a decent hour on Monday. We had stopped at the grocery store to pick up milk and bread and ended up picking up something for dinner, too. I just did not have it in me to cook after our two day road trip. The kids helped us unpack and unload with a minimum of whining. There had to be whining, it just was done mostly out of ear shot or there would have been trouble.

We did come home to a couple of unexpected visitors. There was a dead mouse in our bathroom. We aren't real sure what killed him, but he couldn't have been dead for long. The house didn't smell and I was glad for that. Then later as I was putting snacks in the pantry, I heard rustling. Apparently, the dead one had a partner in crime. We spent some time trying to catch it then flush it out of hiding, but no luck. So now we have a mouse trap set up in the pantry, and hubby gets to go under the house Saturday. As long as they don't get mail at our house. I don't know how things work where you are, but in Florida, if you get mail at a residence, it's your residence. I really don't want to start eviction proceedings, because we probably won't see a dime from the little rodent.

Tuesday started off with gang busters. When I originally did our lesson plans, I wasn't expecting to be out of town for Thanksgiving. I had work planned for Monday, so we spent Tuesday trying to catch up. And then Wednesday, and then Thursday. I think we are almost caught up. The kids have a science test for tomorrow. Yes, I planned a test for Friday. Take a breath, it'll be ok. The boy has to do his spelling test as well, and that's all. And then the park!

We had a co-op on Tuesday. I got my times mixed up and we were early (for a change). But it was our kings and queens day and we also talked about the Magna Carta. We did a quick lesson, then a little review with a Cloze activity. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically a fill in the blank. It was a lot of fun. Our facilitator even gave the moms one. I was the first one done out of everybody and I got them all right! I didn't get a prize, but I got to spend some time with three really great ladies while the kids played outside. That was prize enough.

Wednesday was our busy day. Dance class was fantastic. The ladies are trying to get me to be in the recital. I don't want to. I keep saying no, but they aren't listening. The kids were great at my in-laws, but they always are. I picked them up and off to JAM we go.

We had a guest speaker. His name is Lew Clayton and he is the illustrator for a new book, called Archie's Christmas Tale. It is a fantastic little book. I highly recommend it for those of you who are looking for a new Christmas book. It is about the mouse that was stirring on Christmas Eve. He brought gift bags for the kids and taught them how to draw Archie. All the kids had such a fantastic time.

And today was our science co-op. I really enjoy that class. Today we talked about magnets and the kids learned how to make an electro magnet. I don't know one child that doesn't like to play with magnets. It is such an interesting class. The kids are usually antsy during the lesson, but come time for the activity they are all eyes and ears open. They are so funny.

And of course, we still had, and have, dance this week. The big girl missed her class because we were on the road. I didn't even think about it until we passed dance class on the way home. Neither did she. She was a little bummed, but was tired from traveling and really didn't mind.

We have two more weeks of school after this. And then we break for Christmas. We are working next week. But the week after is a light week and we are going to work on a Christmas lap book that I think the kids will enjoy. It will be our first, but hopefully not our last. I want to do some with our science next year when we study animals.

Enjoy your week. I hope you had a great one. I hope your Thanksgiving was as fatastic as ours was. I am so thankful for the time we got to spend with family and friends. It was much needed on this end of the country. We love you and miss you all already.

Have a great day!

No comments: