Monday, November 24, 2008

Grateful, hateful

We made it. We're here. And I could not be happier.

We took the long way here, and it was beautiful. We cut across to the coast of Florida, up to Georgia, and across Alabama. And we took all the back roads to see things we had never seen before. It took us almost thirteen hours our first day, but it was well worth the scenery and the family time to get to Mississippi.

The back road in Alabama made me long for a time that is no longer part of our culture. It was back woods, down home and something that hubby and I want for our family. It was about making do and working the land, and everyone pitching in together to help when help is needed. I know. It sounds like a fairy tale. But there are still parts of the country where that happens.

We would see signs for towns that were established in the 1800s and wonder where the town was. Now granted, we may have only seen a small part, the part without a Wal Mart or a grocery store or modern civilization. But we loved what we saw.

We saw roads that looked like roller coasters. We would even hold our hands up and yell on the down side. It was so much fun. We saw small churches with cemeteries next to them. We saw lots and lots of cows. We saw houses that had been abandoned and trees growing through them. We saw barns that needed painting, but the look didn't seem to bother the live stock that was inside. We saw telephone wires that hung precariously from the poles, which hung precariously onto the side of a hill with a very steep drop off. Hubby said he's glad he didn't have to work on those. Me, too!

And along the way we saw great signage. The one that struck me the most was this: Be gratefully humble, do not hatefully grumble. I always wonder who comes up with those. I wonder because I am grateful for the sentiment and the direction. Just when I would start to grouse about something on the trip, I would remember that sign, and shut my mouth.

So at this time of Thanksgiving, here are a few things that I am grateful for. I am thankful for a safe trip, that we arrived safely and soundly. I am grateful for my family that lives in the great state of Texas, family that I love and miss. I am thankful for the time that I get to spend with them, each moment more precious than the last. I am grateful that my children love their Auntie, their uncle, cousins, their Uncle Jessie, and especially their Mermie. I am thankful that I get to spend quality time with family. I am grateful for friends that I have not seen in forever that I get to hug and touch and spend time with. I am thankful for the beauty and grandness of love.

So this Thanksgiving, we are going to play and love and cook and eat and laugh. And we get to take a family picture, something that has never been done before with us. So enjoy your turkey and your family and all the small things that make life fantastic. I am. I plan on a turkey coma come Thursday.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cristy,

Glad to hear you made it. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.