Saturday, April 3, 2010

Beets, and Other Stuff

Talking with my park mamas on Friday, I noticed several phrases. Ooh, bullet points.

  1. "Check out my blog. I did a post about..."
  2. "Facebook me and remind me."
  3. "I'll text you that later."
  4. "I was on Twitter the other day and..."

What a technologically savvy group we are. We link our blogs to our Facebook accounts, we tag each other in pictures, we communicate by texting, we ALL have cell phones. Even some of us that claim ignorance can be pretty techy when we need to be. I just got a kick out of it and thought you might, too. Unsocialized homeschool families, my foot. We socialize the same ways as every body else.

Speaking of blogs, my friend C said she liked my recipe blogs. Tonight I have a recipe for beets. A little over a year ago, hubby had a stomach virus. Nasty little bugger that thing was. Our doctor put him on a BRAT diet. I had just picked up our produce, which included beets. The boy and I loved them, the girls thought they were ok, and hubby wanted a bite so bad, he could taste them. He asked me to make them again, and here, a little over a year later, I'm going to make them. I got this from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Of course, mine isn't new. It was a gift from many years ago. It is my favorite and is still my go to cookbook. I hope you enjoy them.

Orange-Glazed Beets:

4 medium beets or one 16 oz can sliced beets, drained.

1 Tbl margarine or butter

1 Tbl brown sugar

1 tsp cornstarch

1/2 cup finely shredded orange peel

1/4 cup orange juice

In a sauce pan, cook whole fresh beets, covered. Boil for 40-50 minutes or tender. Cool slighty, remove the skins, and slice. In a medium sauce pan melt butter or margarine. Stir in brown sugarand cornstarch. Stir in orange peel and juice. Cook and stir till thick and bubbly. Add sliced beets, cook and stir until heated through.

Simple, simple, simple. I use light brown sugar. Any time I cook, I use light. If I'm baking, I use the dark. Unless the recipe calls for light or dark specifically. I do use a little more brown sugar, maybe 1/2 Tbl. I like mine a little sweeter. Other than that, I don't do anything different. Strange, I know. If you have beets with greens, save the greens. They are great for a salad. Cut out the hard center vein and wash thoroughly. Shred for a salad. Yummo.

Easter tomorrow with the family. Some much needed down time is the order of the day. Of course, I'll have my lap top. Now if I only had an iPhone...I'd be a menace, which is why I don't have one.

Celebrate Easter every day. Remember that Christ died for us and through Him we have an eternal relationship with God. Christ is the reason for the season and every day. Christ is risen. He is risen indeed.

Have a great day!

No comments: