Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Fun

It was an awesome day at the park. I loved it. I am so glad that I have joined this group of super women and their families. We are one big family and that says alot. I stayed late with two of my friends and we talked and laughed and laughed and talked. What a great time. My kids are worn out and headed to bed, hubby is bringing me a cup of coffee and I am posting a recipe for fried wontons.

This is one from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens. So much good stuff in there. This is the recipe for the filling for our favorite won tons. It is also good as egg rolls. I like to take left overs and make fried rice with it. That's actually what I did with it. I was not in the mood for the hassle of the wontons. And, as usual, I will post my changes after. This is for you, M.

Pork and Shrimp Filling

6 oz cooked, cut up shrimp
1/2 cup finely chopped cooked pork
1/2 cup finely chopped bean sprouts
1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced green onion
2 Tbls soy sauce
1 tsp grated ginger root

Add all ingredients to bowl and mix well. Stuff wonton as directed on package.

Ok, here we go. I didn't have pork. We're trying to cut down. I did, however, have ground turkey so that's what I used. We don't use the shrimp. We don't like it with the shrimp. It gives it a little twangy flavor that's weird. Since I was making fried rice, I put on two cups of rice to cook as I cut everything up. Cook the turkey with all the ingredients to add more flavor to the meat. I let the rice cool for a few minutes, then put it in a large skillet heated with olive and sesame oil. Toss the rice with soy sauce and a little teriyaki. I added yellow bell pepper and extra onions and mushrooms to it as well. Add your meat mixture and a little more soy and teriyaki. Toss until all is coated and serve.

It was so good. It is simple, easy and quick. The rice takes maybe 15 minutes, and you could easily substitute quinoa or something similar. There was nothing left in the pan.

My kids are worn out. They played and played and played. We got home and I cooked while they showered. It was almost 7 when we left the park today. They were tired and a little cranky. Hubby beat us home. He started the rice and cut up most of the veggies. I'm headed for the shower and then bed for me.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

BeckyJoie said...

That sounds yummy. My husband loves fried wontons. Now I can make them for him. :>) Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
I love you so much Cristy. You are an AWESOME woman and a FANTASTIC friend! God has blessed me so much with all of you ladies. I can't even tell you how loved I feel in our little group. Its a wonderful feeling...something a person like me, with what I've been through really needed. I am almost in tears over here so I'm done..lol
Just luv ya :D