Monday, November 3, 2008

Sorry

It was busy around here last week, so I'm sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. Where do I start?

Halloween is a good place. Friday was also park day. The park has a dock that leads to a very small lake. But you can still fish. The wind coming off the lake was so cold. It was beautiful at my house so I had on shorts and a tshirt, my usual park attire. The two big kids were wearing shorts and tshirts, but the baby had on a tshirt and a pair of sweat pants. My goose bumps had goose bumps, and they were cold, too. The kids didn't notice a thing, specially as they ran around the park playing and playing and playing.

Every year we go to hubby's parents house to trick or treat. We get together with all the kids and go around the pond they live on. This year it was a little disappointing. There have been so many foreclosures in the neighborhood that many houses were empty. The old crowd was still there, the ones that have lived in the neighborhood forever. But there weren't many trick or treaters this year either. It was kind of sad. We even went to a different part of the neighborhood that we haven't been to in a long time. Now that the kids are all walking and there were no strollers there was a little more complaining. But we just ignored them and pimped them out for more free candy.

The kids recycled costumes this year. The big girl and the boy did pirates from last year. The baby wore one of the big girl's witch costumes from Halloween past. We still had the hat that went with it. That is amazing in itself. I bought a pirate set for the big girl that had a hat, eye patch, and a hook to wear over her hand. She hung her bag on that and you could hear people laugh when they went to put candy in her bag. It was pretty amusing.

Wednesday was our fall party at JAM. We had a blast. The kids got their pumpkin bags with the school supplies, but there was also candy in it. We had a donation of candy and when I picked it up from the church office and looked at it, I cracked up. It was body part candy. They are gummies and shaped like parts of your body that have been cut off or out. They looked disgusting, but the kids loved it. We had to put two gift bags together for each child because we had so much candy from different people.

We had hot dogs, chips, and juice boxes for a snack. Then we ran them outside for a while. We gathered them and took them to our youth house, where the middle and high school kids gather. The youth had decorated it for Halloween and we went there to watch our movie.

I popped popcorn, and we had a ton of junk. One of our volunteers stayed up until almost midnight the night before making treats for the kids. He made cookie "fingers" with almond slivers for the nail and red icing around it to make it look bloody. He made witches hats out of Rice Krispie treats layed with melted chocolate and adorned with black licorice. We also had dirt pudding complete with gummy worms. And my favorite part was the caramel apples. He and his wife melon balled apples to make bite size pieces and covered them in caramel. They used toothpicks for the sticks. They put them in paper candy cups and they were the highlight of my day! Yummy, yummy, yummy!

I'm sure there was plenty more last week that I have left out. But it was a busy one.

Here is my shameless plug. GET OUT AND VOTE!!!! This election is so important to our country and our states. I ask that you pray for guidance and don't leave your chads hanging. We take hubby to work in the morning, so we will be at the polls early. Do what you think is right for your family. But vote, please.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cristy, I worked the election in my precinct (long day). We had over 80% turn out. Just thought I'd share that with ya.

Cristy said...

It was truly an election for the record books. Good for you working the precinct. I bet it was a long day. I hope you got a chance to vote.

Cristy

Scott said...

This certainly was one for the record books. I'm glad it's something we were able to witness in our lifetimes.

Love,
Scott

Cristy said...

I love the fact that so many people decided to take advantage of the right and privilege and responsibilty of casting their vote. When you have an election that is decided by 837 votes, it proves that one vote can make a difference. What if those 837 people hadn't voted?

It didn't turn out the way I wanted it to on a few levels, but I hope that people aren't discouraged. I hope they all see what activism and involvement can do!

Love you,

Cristy