Tuesday, August 5, 2008

School starts when?

I have been busy, busy, busy.The kids are in Vacation Bible School again this week. It's their third for the summer. We use VBS like most people use summer camp. That is our summer camp. And the kids love it. The big girl is spending the week with Oma, which is fine. She had a choice and she made it, so good for her.

While they have been there, I've been scrambling around trying to figure out what school supplies we need, and what we have, and what I want. I have found some really amazing deals, but some aren't worth having. I still need a globe, so if anyone wants to donate to the Homeschool Shus School Supply Fund, please do! I'm also waiting for a Friends of the Library sale. I like those.

I have also been on the Interenet trying to find supplements to our school curriculum. There are a couple of really good web sites out there that will really help us and cut down our dependency on the library. It doesn't cost me money to surf the web, but it costs me gas money to go once a week to the library.

National Geographic has a great educational section. It is broken down into sections, and those sections have subsections. It navigates easily, thank you. And it has links to other articles on their site. I just sat down and listed all the articles that we will be using. It is fantastic. And the picture galleries are nice. I think that gives just that much more info. Now you can put a picture and not just a description in your mind.

Encyclopedis Brittanica is another website. The local school board pays for the membership. I got the info when the kids were still in public school. It has basically the same thing. It also has different versions. It has the elementary, middle school, and high school and beyond. It has fantastic articles as well. And once again, the site is navigated very easily. It's not so much on the pictures, but that's why we have the other site as well.

The great thing about those sites is that the kids love to be on the computer. They don't mind if it's educational or not. Turn it on and they are champing at the bit. This is going to be a hectic year for us, and I am glad my kids adapt well to a changing environment.

We have four of us dancing this year. I thought only one of us was going to be able to dance, but we have a benefactor (two really) that are going to help us pay for tuition this year. And then there is soccer, maybe, in the fall. And baseball, maybe, in the spring. And the boy wants to play basketball in the winter. Do you see what I mean by hectic? So keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Have a great day!

No comments: