Saturday, May 21, 2011

Taking the Good With the Not So Much

Been a long day. Not as long as it could have been, but long enough. I've been making a list. I know, you're shocked. I was thinking about some of the stuff that's been happening lately. I try to be a glass half full kind of gal, but there's a half empty glass on the other side of that. So here's the list:

  • We went to recital today. It was an awesome show as usual. So bittersweet for us, though. Normally we're there because the kids are in the recital. But today, we were spectators only. I may gripe about the four days back and forth, getting kids dressed and made up, putting hair in a bun, snack bags, coordinating times and cameras and whatever else with hubby, but I love it. I am so proud of my kids and how hard they've worked to get to recital. They are such beautiful dancers. But I'm a little partial. Loved seeing the dances and the costumes and our friends from the last eight years. Hurt my heart to not see my kids on stage.
  • We are four day a week schoolers. We don't school on Friday if at all possible. Friday is park day. I found out the hard way that working on Fridays is almost impossible for us. The occasional quick assignment or quiz is alright. To expect the kids to work and me to teach is high expectations for Friday morning. Except, I changed the date we're ending school. We were going to go until the end of June. I think a mutiny was brewing. I could normally handle that from my kids, but I was the ring leader. Now it's the end of May for us. That means, though, that we have to school on Fridays. It's the big girl's math throwing us off. If we only school 'til the end of May, she has to work on Friday's to finish and not have 4 assignments a day. She may actually learn the last few lessons that way. But, we have to school on Friday. Ugh! 
  • This moving business is starting to take a toll on us. We know that we are almost at the end of this journey, but the wait has been agonizing. We should have been in Texas for three months now. But we're still here. So many plans and so much time has gone by. On the bright side, we have been able to spend great time with our friends and family here. We've had play dates and field trips and swim dates and park days and birthday parties and memories galore. That is one thing I have been very grateful for.
  • And, finally...I made macaroni and cheese for dinner the other night. The saying in our home is that when mama has a craving, everyone benefits. I had a craving. I didn't have everything I needed to make the mac and cheese I normally do, so I had to wing it. I used organic quinoa pasta, organic butter and milk, and unbleached and unbromated flour. Of course, I used Velveeta cheese so really it was all a wash. It was also the best mac and cheese I have ever made. Even the baby ate it. And she asked for more. The leftovers got fought over the next morning. I'm ok with that.
Upside, downside. Optimist, pessimist. Sometimes I tread water in the half empty glass. After that, I float in the half full one.

Have a great day.

No comments: