Friday, May 6, 2011

Down on the Farm, Revisited and in Pics



 This is what we started with. We expected it to be several weeks before we could even have the glimmer of a harvest. A week later we were at this...
 Look how pretty that is. It just took off and grew and grew and grew.
 This is the root system for either the watermelon or the cucumber, I can't remember which. Pretty impressive, huh? There are days I wished my roots looked like that.
 I took this one tonight. Tomorrow will be two weeks. Tonight I harvested some romaine. It was huge. The Bibb lettuce is so pretty. That will hopefully be next. It's not quite ready yet.
 See that little round thing at the tip of my finger? It's a watermelon!! We have 3!! My mouth is watering already. If I can keep the stinking birds away this time, I will be a happy camper. The last time we grew watermelons, the birds feasted while I grumbled.
 Cucumbers!! My family and I can eat our weight in cucumbers. We have two plants and they both have yumminess on them. Hurry up, hurry up!!
Look at that squash go! I never liked squash when I was kid, liked it for a few years as an adult, but now I'm back to not liking it. It's the squeakiness when I chew it. I can feel it rub against my teeth and I am done. I'm looking for some new recipes to try it in to see if I can get over that. If not, y'all want some hydroponic squash?

We also have bell peppers and kale. Our beans are starting. Just waiting on the maters now. Come on, maters, you can do it. The weird thing is that we have had no flowers. That's a first for us. My friend G, who also has a tower, has flowers and no veggies, yet. I have no idea what that is about. All I know is that I want broccoli and strawberries when the weather gets cooler. My head is filled with visions of a tower full of strawberries. I don't know if I could keep Big Sis away from it long enough to harvest.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

Big Sis said...

Still not sure I understand what a hydroponic garden is. Guess you can show me first hand when you get here!!!

Cristy said...

It's a soilless way to grow plants. They aren't leaching nutrients from the soil, they aren't exposed to pesticides or herbicides in the ground, and you don't have to supplement the soil. But, heck yeah, I'll show you when we get there.