Friday, June 25, 2010

Holy Guacamole

Hang in there with me. Don't leave. Just get thru the next paragraph and you'll see where I'm going with all this.

I was reading that avocados are very good for women. It has been shown that if a woman eats just one avocado a week, it can help balance hormones. At this stage of my life, I'm all for balancing the hormones. It also helps prevent some cervical cancers and helps you shed unwanted pounds. That being said, I just like avocados.

They are relatively cheap at our organic co-op. They are nutritious and delicious. I like them in salads, on sandwiches, sliced up on a plate, and as guacamole. I make a really good guacamole. I have been taking it to the park and sharing it with my friends. Even my hubby, the guacamole shunner that he is, really likes it. That makes me feel better. Here's the way I do it:

2 ripe avocados
2 green onions, chopped, including greens
1/2 medium tomato or 1 small tomato, diced small, seeds removed
2 tsp cumin
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
sea salt
cracked black pepper
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Half avocados and remove the pit. Scoop green goodness out of skin with a spoon. Dice avocado then place in bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add juice of lemon. Start to mash avocado with back of spoon or with a fork. Add lime juice and continue to mash until as smooth as you like it or as smooth as you can get it. Add spices, tomatoes, and onions. Mix well. Serve with chips, on tacos, or with a spoon.

Your avocados must be ripe. I keep mine in the frig to keep them from ripening too soon. I take them out and let them sit on my kitchen counter for about 3-4 days. When the skin is black and the fruit is soft, they're ready. The lemon juice is to keep it green, the lime juice is for flavor. The measurements for the cumin and cayenne are guesstimates. I don't measure. Easy does it, though. The longer it sits, the stronger the flavor. It may taste a little bland at first. Start by adding a little more salt and pepper. Then a little cumin, but the cayenne will blow you away if you add too much. If you don't have tomatoes and onions, use salsa. It doesn't matter what kind. Start with about a tablespoon and go from there. Add a tablespoon at a time until it is the consistency you like. I like mine a little thick.
It really is super easy. I could show you quicker than it took to write this out. And it's good for you. You can't beat that with a stick. Well, you could, but then you would have really smooth guacamole. Enjoy!

Have a great day.

No comments: