Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumpkin Carving

My favorite part of carving is scooping all the guts out. Hubby does the carving and does a bang up job. The kids normally help and we make it a family fun event. This year was a little different.

Hubby actually did most of the scooping. I'm not real sure how that happened. The boy sat outside with me while I did my part. He also helped me separate the seeds from the strings. I had grand plans of roasting the seeds this year. The big girl came out holding her nose, being a general pain in the butt. I sent her back in and told her not to come out until her attitude was better. You would think that was a good thing for her. She could sit inside and do what she wanted and not be sweating with us. No, not her. She sat at the windows watching for awhile. I told her if she could come out without the dramatics, she was welcome. She didn't come out.

I couldn't help but sing "Great big globs of greasy, grimy, pumpkin guts" while I played. It was kind of freaking out the boy, so I had to quit. A couple of minutes later, he said, "Mama! Thanks". He had it stuck in his head. I couldn't help it. Then we sang it together for awhile. He's so cute.

Hubby took the pumpkins out front to carve. It was shady out front. We should have scooped them out there, too. I was inside washing seeds and trying to remove excess pumpkin. That was not as big a chore as I thought it was going to be. It took a little while, but it wasn't bad. We put the seeds on to soak in salty water while we went trick or treating. I got them cooked last night and hubby and I snacked away. They were really good. I did make some notations on the recipe as to what I will do differently next year. For great recipes I like to go here. That's where I get some of my crockpot recipes as well. Very handy.

We didn't realize until we were snacking and playing Wii that I didn't get pictures of hubby carving. I was washing seeds while he was hacking away and I missed it all. Oh, well. We do have pics of the final product. We took them over to where we trick or treat and lit them. They looked really cool. Hubby was a little worried you wouldn't be able to tell what they were when they were lit. I'll post those pics, too. But later. It took two rounds of We Love Golf to get the last two posts done. 9 pictures is alot for my computer on a dial up line. I'll also post pics of the kids in their costumes.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Mermie said...

I love, love, love picture of my wonderful grandchildrens. And I love the fact that my grandson can wear pink shoes. No threat to his manhood!!! Keep the pictures coming. (_._) (That's my big butt)

Cristy said...

Actually, the shoes are red, but the picture makes them look pink. He wouldn't care, though. You know him, all boy and proud of it. I'll post the costume pics shortly.

Love you and your big butt. (__!__)
That's my butt back at ya.