Monday, June 6, 2016

On the Agenda

Before our school year is over, I sit down and figure out what in the world we're supposed to be doing the next school year. You would think it would get easier as the years go by. Yeah. I wished it worked that way. There are a couple of used curriculum sales that I like to hit in May, so it's good to have a plan. Only, we know how well I follow a plan. At one of the sales, I actually put back all of the stuff I had picked up for the boy's literature and changed tacks. The big girl (oh my heart) won't be schooling with us this year. The boy and the baby are at the stage where we can do several subjects together, so that helps. Here's what I did:

  • I already know that the boy and the baby girl are going to have bible and German together. I'm not sure what we're using for bible yet, but I do know that we'll finish an Acts study we started towards the end of our last year. After that, it's wide open. German is Power Glide and we're restarting that. Last year was a bad year for foreign language. As in, we didn't foreign language. Ugh!
  • The kids will be using Mystery of History, Volume II for world history. I like that it has activities for different levels. I'll be mixing and matching them through out the year. I'm hoping to keep current on the timeline. I think it would be cool to have it around the kitchen and living room. We'll see. The book is huge and just a bit intimidating, so I joined a page on the social network. That has been amazing. I feel much more confident about something we've never used before.
  • For literature, the boy will be using a Progeny Press study guide and a Memoria Press study guide. The PP will be Beowulf and the MP will be The Odyssey. It fits in with the time period of the history. I'm a little excited for the boy. These are a different type of reading than what he's used to and I think he'll like the storylines. He'll also be using Cliff's Notes to help with whatever we don't get and to give him some background information. The baby will be using a study guide from In the Hands of a Child for Island of the Blue Dolphin and a Progeny Press study guide for A Wrinkle in Time. I am a huge fan of PP, but there wasn't one for The Odyssey. I have both PP and HOAC for Island of the Blue Dolphin, but I want to get the baby out of her comfort zone.
  • Science this year is A Beka Biology. Both kids will be using it this year. The baby will be an 8th grader and she can get high school credit for it. I'm not worried about this one since I taught this at co-op a couple of years ago. This should be easy peasy.
  • Grammar is Rod and Staff for the baby and A Beka for the boy. I like both programs but I have to admit that R&S is my very favorite for teaching grammar, hands down. It is clear and concise and I like the way it's put together.
  • Math this year is A Beka for both kids. Algebra for the baby and Algebra 2 for the boy. I had looked at a couple of different things for the boy, but went back to A Beka. It's what he's used to and I think he'll do fine with it. The baby will get high school credit for algebra, so let's just start marking things off now! Woot!
So far, we don't have any plans for a school co-op. I'm kind of glad because that frees up some time. We'll be looking at new dance studios this year as well. I think I know where we're going. It's closer to the house than our previous studio and that saves us some time. I'm not sure what that schedule will be like so I need to keep that in mind. Hubby and I decided that we need to get used to a new studio before we commit to a performance or competition team, so that's off the schedule, thank goodness.

I'll wait until we get back from our summer trip before I start planning. You have to know, though, that I am champing at the bit. Lesson planning is one of my guilty pleasures. I am so weird.

Have a great day.

No comments: