Thursday, April 19, 2012

Booking It

Crazy, crazy week. It started out so sane, but 10 minutes in my hands and poof! You get a daybook post, because it's what my brain can handle.

  • Outside my window: It is starting to be a beautiful day. It's supposed to get cloudy and rainy in a  couple of days, so I will take the sunshine while I can.
  • Around the house: I could say what a sty the house is, but it really isn't that bad. Hubby and I have been focusing on projects. Our last was the chicken coop. We need to make some adjustments to it, but that's for tonight. Next on our list is expanding the garden. We need about 6 more raised beds for what we want. Hubby says he turned me into a redneck. I still wear shoes so I can't be a redneck. I'm a farmer. After we get the garden done, it's time to clean out the pool. The kids are actually going to do that, so we might have dual projects going on. It would be awesome to finish the garden and jump in the pool. There's an idea.
  • From the schoolroom: That's where things started to get screwy this week. Today is a catch up day for us. I got new dry erase pens! They click so you don't have to worry about the cap. Yeah, it's the little things. We have about three weeks left, and I really want to get everything done we need to get done. The boy is working on a research paper. It's the first one he's done. That was suposed to get started this week. It hasn't started yet, but that's why today is catch up. The big girl finished her language arts. We still had 4 weeks to go when she did that. We got a jump start on next year and she's started her literature. It's part of a larger curriculum that is huge. I was looking at the rest of it the other day and I'm wondering how anyone could possibly fit it all into a schoolday. I am so glad we aren't using the rest of the curriculum. The baby has a friend that already writes in cursive. She decided that she wants to learn cursive. There was a handwriting book in her school drawer. She drug it out and started teaching herself. Crazy thing has beautiful cursive handwriting after a week.  
  • From the garden: All of our plants have fruited. We have tomatoes and peppers and eggplant and cucumbers and zucchini and strawberries. The berries are just a couple a day, and we're waiting for the rest to ripen up. I have a feeling that when all the romas are ready to pick, I'll have more than enough to make tomato sauce. That will tie in nicely with our next topic. We're hoping to be able to have a nice stock on hand of homemade tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce that we didn't have to buy and we know what's in it. 
  • I am researching: Canning. I don't know why they call it canning when you put stuff in jars, but whatever. We're hoping to be able to preserve alot of our harvest. We want to know what we can preserve and what we can't. I also need to research vacuum sealing. If I have baked goods and seal them well, how long will they last? I don't want to freeze them if I don't have to. That really alters the taste. We'll see what I come up with.
  • I am reading: I have a stack of books again! I'm not sure how that happens, but there it is. I'm trying to read a book for book club next week, but haven't had the time to sit down and read. Hopefully, after we get caught up today, I'll have 10 or 15 minutes to read. The big girl has been borrowing DADs from the library. Those are Digital Audio Devices. It looks like a little MP3 player. You need a AAA battery and your own headphones. It's like a plug and play game only it's book. We are loving those. And our book on CD is Bud, Not Buddy. James Avery, the dad from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, is the reader. He is really making the story come alive. The kids have started checking out more books on CD and listening to them in their rooms. At least there are books being read in our home. Hubby's feeling a little left out, though. The CD player in his truck doesn't work and he doesn't have a CD player in his work truck. We'll figure something out for him.
I guess that's about it. I think I cleared off my list quite nicely. Now, on to catch up day. I'd rather go back to bed, but that ain't happening. I guess while I'm on the computer, I'll get to researching.

Have a great day.  

No comments: