Friday, July 16, 2010

Beer and Seasoning

Yeah, not a title you would expect on this blog, but there it is. My last post was about being boring. When I say boring, I should also include lazy into that category. We really haven't done much this summer. Because of that, my poor crockpot thinks I have forgotten it. I haven't, that's for sure. I actually have a hunk of beef in it right now that smells so good. I also cut up some red potatoes and some yukon golds and have those roasting right now. My house smells divine. Only thing I need right now is a loaf of home made bread going to top off the wonderful smells.

I started thinking about my poor, abused crockpot. I like the fact that once you get a pattern down, you can mix and match and make a different meal with the same basic stuff. That was pretty much what I did today. I just followed a pattern. Most of the recipes will call for a liquid and some seasoning. Most of the time I just grab whatever my hand lands on in my spice rack and let it go. But I have started adapting some recipes and now keep some things on hand to make that part a little easier.

One of my favorite things to cook with is beer. Yes, I drink it, too, and it seems like I always have at least one. Today has been the day I could use a few more, but to cook with, one is enough. I like to use it when I cook smoked sausage. My childhood friend R used to do that. I was skeptical until I tried it. It is the only liquid I use now for sausage. Throw some shredded cabbage or sauerkraut in the pan with it, cover it, and let it go. You can use a bagged coleslaw mix just as easily. Just make sure you rinse the sauerkraut or it can be a little bitter. If you forget, toss in a couple of tablespoons of sugar to sweeten it up a little.

I have started using it as the liquid in my crock pot recipes. I don't use it all the time, but it can liven up a boring recipe, or one you use all the time. I usually make my own chicken stock, but I seem to be out for some reason. I have Mexican Chicken on my menu for next week, so I'll get more in the freezer when I boil the chicken. Since I am out, I needed a substitute. I could have used water, but really, what sort of pizzazz does that add? None. And wouldn't you know it, I actually had two beers in the fridge. One went in the crock pot and I know where the other one is going later.

The other thing I like to use and keep on hand is seasoning packets. I like the onion soup mixes, but I also like something just a little different. One recipe I have calls for a packet of dry Italian dressing mix. You know, the one that you mix with vinegar and olive oil? It is wonderful as a seasoning in recipes and it comes in a couple of different varieties. If I had had one, it would have been in the crock pot, too. Instead I used some Jamaican Jerk seasoning I have. I also like to keep taco and chili seasoning packets on hand. They are fantastic on the potatoes I mentioned earlier. You can also use dry ranch dressing as well. I like that you can also make dips with them. Have company? Use a packet of seasoning, a container of sour cream or plain yogurt, and you have instant dip. Use chips or veggies or both. You can also do carrots and fresh green beans instead of potatoes. All sorts of wonderful things and it is quick and simple and easy.

So now that I have talked your ear off about the wonders of these things, I'll let you know what I did for dinner tonight and, as always, the alternatives.

Crockpot Meat:

1 roast
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
1 bottle of beer

Salt and pepper beef to your liking. Place in crock pot. Add garlic, onions, and beer. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

You can use any cut of meat. You can use a whole or cut up chicken, or chicken pieces that you like. It is also good with turkey. I like to use a turkey breast or turkey thighs. Yummy, yummy. And you could always toss in any of the seasoning packets I mentioned above. I should say that store brands are just as good for this as the name brand, but go with what you like.

Roasted Potatoes

2 red or yukon gold potatoes for each person
olive oil
1 packet taco seasoning

Dice potatoes into bite size pieces. Place them into a large resealable bag. Add 2-4 tablespoons of olive oil. Empty packet into bag and seal. Toss to coat and place potatoes onto a baking sheet. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until tender.

I used Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. I would suggest you not use salt if you are using a seasoning packet. There's enought of that in the packet. This is where you could use any of the packets I mentioned above or just any seasoning that you have that you like. Always go with what you like and what's easiest for you. I serve mine with a little sour cream on the side, but there's always that stand by- ketchup. If you use taco or chili seasoning, salsa would be delicious with the spuds.

Keeping it simple and easy doesn't have to mean drive thru or sandwiches. You could just as easy add chicken stock and a beer. Add black beans or lentils to the meat and have a one pot meal. Or even add your taco potatoes to your beer beef. My mouth is watering. It's time for dinner.

Have a great day.

No comments: