Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Letter

I wasn't sure what to post, and one of the blogs that I follow did a Christmas letter. It gave a quick rundown of what the family had been doing. Here is my version.

Let's start with the big girl. What a joy she is! People that are not Christians have asked how I know there is a God, and I point to her. Every now and then, I have to straighten her halo when I point, but still. She is a great friend. She has many friends that love her and want to spend time with her. One of them started private school this year, and that has left a little empty spot in her heart. She doesn't get to see her very often, yet she makes the most of it when she does. The big girl is empathetic and has such a lovely heart and soul. This year with dance she is doing hip hop, again. She wants to take two classes next year, if finances cooperate, and take ballet. That's a huge leap for her. This year, she has officially become youth at our church. Middle school and up is considered youth and she is no longer part of the children's program. My heart hurts with that one. She has integrated well, and has made some really good friends in the program. She was able to go to Rock the Universe, which is a Chrsitian rock festival, at a local theme park. Of course, her mama and papa were chaperones because we like to rock, too. I stepped back and let her be herself and tried not to "mother" her half to death. The big girl was also confirmed this year. We did the program and went to a wonderfully moving confirmation weekend. She stepped out of her comfort zone again and again, and was rewarded greatly. We are so proud of her. Friends and family were asked to send letters and emails of support, and she received many. It was fantastic to be held up with love and support during this time. She was confirmed into our church and accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior. She is an amazing big sister, loving her role of authority. She is my best helper, always there when I call. We have spent more time together in the kitchen, trying to get her over her fear of the hot stove and oven. She is making amazing strides since being burned and is so brave and strong. And she makes brownies from scratch that are so, so lovely to eat.

The boy. That should be all I need to say. It's not all I'm going to say, but it should be all I need to say. He is loud and obnoxious and sweet and caring. He is one of the smartest kids I have ever known. He's not just book smart, he is world smart, too. It has often been said that he will either be the president or a preacher. He wants to be a preaching president. He listens to the world around him, so watch what you say. He knows how to take the information that he hears, process it, and make correct assumptions. It's the way that that information comes back that is the amazing part. The boy is also dancing this year. He is taking ballet and loving it. His dance teacher is amazed at his natural talent and loves having not one, but two, boys in her class. The boy has to share the stage this year with another and is actually OK with it. He thinks that next year he may want to take martial arts as opposed to dance, but I'm the one having a hard time with that decision. He is a great little brother, but still working on his big brother skills. He is home with us so much while hubby is at work, he tends to think that he is the man of the house. By the same token, he is the first to defend his sister, either one, when there is a threat. Nobody hurts his sisters.

The baby, once again, brings up the rear. And what a pain in it she is. We love her so much. She is always trailing if you let go of her hand. I think it's so you she will always get your hand or you will pick her up. If she doesn't have to do the work, if somebody will do it for her, she's good. She uses those big green eyes and her natural charm, and the world falls at her feet. Lucky thing. This year she learned how to read. She will read anything she can get her hands on, so be careful what you leave laying around. She is reading on an upper first grade level, and frequently chooses, and reads, chapter books. She wants to read like her brother and sister. She is doing fantastically with her math and I am very amazed and impressed with her academic progress. This is her second year of dance. She takes a class called half and half. It's a half hour of tap and a half hour of ballet. This year she did a few extra performances with the dance company and got rave reviews. I always love seeing my kids on stage, dancing their little hearts out. Her eyes have made amazing progress this year. She is more conscious of the floating and has made great strides in correcting it herself. Her right eye will still float, but not nearly as much as before. It doesn't always float when she's tired. She doesn't like it and has really worked hard to get it to cooperate. She still won't clean her room without help. And the whining has got to stop. She drives me crazy and I love her.

Hubby and I have decided that in 2011, we are going to Hawaii. I want my kids to meet their relatives and learn more about that side of their heritage. I can't do that for them. I wasn't raised around it, I don't speak the language, I don't know where to begin. We have started a vacation fund. My dad and stepmom are going with us. I don't know if I would do the family thing without him. I don't know my relatives either, so this will be good. And my kids get to spend time with Mamaw and Papaw. Bonus! We would like to go for two weeks and are working hard towards that goal. We were blessed with an abundance of overtime this year and used the money to pay off some credit cards. We are striving to become debt free. We still have a long way to go, but we are getting closer and closer. We have started volunteering with the youth at church. It's one way to keep an eye on the big girl, but there are also kids that need to know what a stable family looks like. They don't have that and we would like them to know that love is out in the world, just waiting for them, despite their backgrounds and upbringing. It will be a bit of a struggle earning their trust and respect, but we're working on it. I am still leading the JAM Crew, but we have started focusing on special events. We did a trunk or treat at Halloween, and a Santa's workshop for Christmas. Already visions of Easter egg hunts and grilled hot dogs are dancing in my head. School has been wonderful. We love homeschooling. It has made our family stronger and more solid. We are blessed to be able to spend so much time together, learning together. What a great way to spend our time. You know me, though. I'm thinking about curriculum for next year already. Help, I'm addicted to curriculum.

That's about it for this year. I'm sure there's more, but getting things focused and my mind to slow down isn't easy. My prayer and wish for the new year, for you and yours and mine, is loads of love, ginormous amounts of joy, and adundance and prosperity galore. May God keep His hand in your life and guide you to greatness. May Jesus always keep His healing and comforting arms around you, holding you, loving you.

Have a great day!

No comments: