Saturday, October 16, 2010

Motivationally Challenged

I have been a very bad blogger. Shame on me. But as the title of this blog suggestions, I am having motivation issues. The really bad part about that is that it has spilled over into our school life. And family life. And every other part of my life it seems.

When we started our homeschooling journey four years ago, the kids and I talked about what we wanted homechooling to mean to us. Every couple of weeks we would talk together about was working, what wasn't, what needed to be changed or tweaked. The next couple of years found us scheduled to within an inch of our lives. We (I) wasn't very flexible if something came up. I couldn't believe how tight our schedule was. Last year was better, at least in the flexibilty area. We were still tightly scheduled, but I was better about last minute appointments or play dates or whatever. I promised myself that this year would be different. Boy is it ever.

My problem this year is that I'm way too flexible. I feel like we haven't hit our groove. We started school at the beginning of August and we seemed to get into a pretty good groove. Then our extras started. Most of them started in September. That threw me out of our groove. First one issue then another came up with those activities and it took a little bit to get them straightened out. Some of them still aren't quite together, but those issues will hopefully resolve themselves pretty soon. Anyway, there went my groove.

If there is a night that I have insomnia, normally I would push through our day. I would get through with loads of caffeine and a couple of B12 pills. Yeah, not so much this year. Now it's nap time until 10 or 11 or until I get off the couch. God bless the kids because they will get their work done that they need to do. The only thing they don't do is our together stuff. Tomorrow will be good enough and it does get done.

It also didn't help that two of my three kids got sick. To watch my big girl sit and look at her math for 5 minutes and have no clue waht she is looking at because she is so miserable, well no point doing school. If she can't focus, she sure won't understand her lesson. We'll do that another time. Next week is good. The boy was just as miserable. We called school off for the week. It needed to be. But, it's also the third time I've had to redo the lesson plan book. Good thing I do the planning in pencil.

A friend said the other day that her schedule runs her, she doesn't run her schedule. Do I ever know how that feels. I've gone way too far to the other side now. I am running my schedule around and around and around. Some days I just do not have the motivation to change it. It's almost like we need a break from super tight schedules and lots of school work. That's really not an epiphany, it's the truth. But here I go overcompensating again. I'm good at going from one extreme to the other.

So, I need to get my motivation back. I need to get the lead out of my rear. I need to find a happy medium between schooling until we can't see straight and schooling when I feel like it. And I will. Tomorrow. Maybe.

Have a great day.

2 comments:

Big Sis said...

I haven't found my groove, either. You would think with the kiddos all in school, I could get everything done.

Mermie said...

you would think being retired, I could get everything done, but.......... Love.........